Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do not have a do daddy or a ninja or a mixer lol I get by but honestly I only started really cooking in the past year abd a half daily. I usually snag my MIL stuff lol since we live close. But pinterest has Great recipes on there.

Comment

There's still so much one can do, even without a Ninja or a doodad...hehe. I love cooking, so I'm always looking for recipes and stuff.

This is one of my recent favorites. Clinton Kelly made it on The Chew:

Buttermilk Roasted Chicken:

1 3-4 pound chicken (cut into 8 pieces
      2 cups buttermilk
      2 cloves garlic (peeled, crushed lightly)
      2 tablespoons thyme (leaves only, roughly chopped)
      1/4 cup lemon juice (I use zest and juice of one lemon. If that's not 1/4 cup juice, I add more juice)
      2 tablespoons olive oil
      Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (I just use regular salt usually)

1. Mix together buttermilk, garlic, thyme, and lemon juice and zest. I also add a bit of salt (I actually put it all in blender, and usually add more herbs like basil and parsley as well and blend it) Marinate overnight.
      2. Preheat oven to 425f (that's 218c)
      3. Remove chicken from marinade and place on baking sheet. At this point, I dry off the skin. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper.
      4. Roast for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 325, and continue roasting until chicken reaches 165. Check at the end of the 30 minutes. I've found a few times that it was already at 165f (73.8c) then. If I have to leave it longer, usually it's done in 10 to 15 more minutes.

This is great chicken. Great with salad. I make it with braised potatoes, and steamed asparagus. We make sandwiches with leftovers.

Anyway, super easy, and really yummy
      Last edited by Emily; 06-07-2017, 01:56.
      Email me!
      Scars remind us of where we've been.
      They don't have to dictate where we're going.~Criminal Minds

Comment

I cook that chicken all the time, as you know... in fact I do believe you made me make it first to see if it was crap or not... hahaha
        Email me!

Don't take criticism from people you wouldn't take advice from

Comment

roflmao. Well, you did get the ingredients before I did. but it is a great recipe...and I've made it several times as well. I love the ease of it. And I did decide to try it with other herbs as well. This week I made it with thyme, basil, and flat leaf parsley and it was great. I think we even liked it better.
          Email me!

Comment

Lol...funny. I love comfort foods. AND I am southern so I usually make a gallon of sweet tea a day lol...I just started getting experimental with recipes so I'll have to keep an eye on yours.

Comment

Most of the stuff I post is fairly simple, and tested by me, and often Brina too. I do some more complicated stuff, but for daily meals, I like quick. And love the slow cooker.

I enjoy tea as well. I don't usually sweeten it. But occasionally, I enjoy sweet tea.

Email me!

Comment

Lol. I really never enjoyed cooking but since I have 3 girls I am amping up my game lol...and I have to ask hubby but now I'm expanding. My MIL has helped in giving me a recipe book and giving me her recipes.

Have you ever had sausage balls? Where do you get your recipes from?

Comment

Pinterest!
                  "We cannot hold a torch to another's path without brightening our own."

Comment

Do you mean sausage balls like the ones made with bisquick? Those are one of our New Years traditions actually..lol. I make them once a year, and don't make them any more often because I eat far too many of them. lol.

For recipes, I have a subscription to Taste of Home, which I get loads of good stuff from. Also, Allrecipes.com is a good source. I watch The Chew and use a fair number of their recipes. I get Good Housekeeping. Also, I look around on several different food blogs just to see what's going on.

Interestingly, a site that I've found some fun things at, is superhealthykids.com. It's a website designed toward getting healthy foods into kids, and there is some fun stuff there. But there's some stuff that's just really nice. They have one page that has loads of prep ahead and freeze stuff for the slow cooker. You just gather and prep all the ingredients, put it all in a freezer bag, label it. and when you need something easy (no prep time, but just time for it to cook in slow cooker), you just dump it in cooker...sometimes with an addition of a liquid, sometimes not and turn it on. if you'd like I can find the link for those specific recipes. But they have some fun ideas.
                    Email me!

Comment

I will look it up. Thank you. If I can't find it I will let you know. And yes those saudage balls lol I eat too many too. I just learned how to make those lol. I will be going the route of making prep meals because often times I am always cooking amd some days I dont feel up to it.

I usually go for easy clean up cooking.

Comment

We love those sausage balls...

yeah, I like stuff I can prep ahead, and cook in one pot, or easy cleanup too. I like roasted veggies and such..and roasted chicken. I use my slow cooker more when it's cold out, but I do use it in summer too...for some things.

Here's the link for the prep and freeze slow cooker meals. Just cut things up put all the ingredients in the bag and pop in freezer. When you want to use them, just put them in slow cooker....sometimes as is, sometimes with whatever added liquid it says to use. http://www.superhealthykids.com/10-q...ooking-needed/

The only one on the list of 10 that I've made is the Butter Chicken. I didn't freeze it ahead of time though. The night before I cut up the chicken and put on all the spices, and then in the morning added that and the other ingredients to the slow cooker. It's really nice if you like curry flavors. And because it's not spicy, it's a good way to introduce curry flavors to kids.

Email me!

Comment

Thank you. I bookmarked it.

Comment

Stuffed Pepper Soup

Ingredients:
                            1 pound ground beef
                            (1 small chopped onion, 2 cloves minced garlic--optional)
                            1 cup chopped green bell pepper
                            1 can (14-15 oz) diced tomatoes
                            1 can (15-15 oz) tomato sauce (puree)
                            1 tablespoon brown sugar
                            1 cup beef broth (or 1 teaspoon beef bouillon + 1 cup water)
                            2 cups water
                            2 cups cooked rice
                            1/2 - 1 tsp salt
                            1/4-1/2 tsp pepper

1. Brown beef, season to taste (If using garlic and onion, cook with beef)
                            2. Add bell pepper, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, brown sugar, broth (or bouillon), water, and salt and pepper (to taste)
                            3. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes, or until peppers are tender.
                            4. Add cooked rice and simmer for 10 more minutes.

It's easy to double this recipe if you need more. It's also easy to adjust seasonings. Good with Italian seasonings, basil, etc. But I like it simple. It tastes like a traditional, very basic stuffed pepper. (I leave out the brown sugar. I think some people add it to balance the green pepper.)
                            Last edited by Emily; 01-02-2020, 04:11.
                            Email me!

Comment

Tomato sauce, is tomato purée for those not in the USA.. :p
                              Email me!

Don't take criticism from people you wouldn't take advice from

Comment

lol I always forget that for some, what we'd call ketchup, is tomato sauce...lol...and yeah, that wouldn't work so great here..lmao
                                Email me!

Comment

Join us on twitter to chat, meet new friends, & share resources 

@SurvivorOasis
                                Working...
                                X