Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i love fresh tomatoes out of the garden, never refrigerated. a little hard on my stomach, though. also love salads but i'm the only one here, unless you count my d, that will eat them. i know i throw out more salad ingredients gone bad than anyone because i just don't fix it for only me.

i need some easy crockpot recipes for my son..he's new at cooking, but enjoys it. since they both work, he'd like to try some crock pot recipes. anybody have a favorite they'd like to mention here?

Comment

Cookie, I have a recipe for Orange Chicken that is made in the crock pot. I haven't tried it yet, but I'll post it if it's any good. I plan on making it next week. I have to do v-e-r-y simple things since I'm really not a cook but I'm trying to learn. (I could SOooo be on that show, Worst Cooks of America.) LOL

Emily, I love love love tomatoes any which way. My favorite, I think, is to slice them in a bowl and pour salt, pepper, and vinegar on them! Ohhhh DIVINE!
      ♥ ♥ ♥
      The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save.
      Zeph 3:16

Comment

You'll have to give them a go, Tulip.

hehe Catie...it was an interesting plot, at least....salmon with poutine. lol.

Definitely never in the fridge for tomatoes, Cookie...ruins the flavor, and even worse, the texture!

Cookie, I don't know if he likes spicy food. But there's a super easy slow cooker tortilla soup recipe posted here somewhere....you pretty much just throw it all in and the slow cooker does the work. Actually, pretty easy to control the spice in it as well. I like it with a bit of spice, but not so much I can't taste it. lol. But it can be adjusted. The only work is shredding or cutting up the chicken when it's cooked.

I've got some other decent ones too...there's a good chicken curry one that I think I posted at some point.

Oh, will be interesting to see how the slow cooker orange chicken recipe comes out Star. I like orange chicken sometimes, though it often tends to be too sweet for me. But if it's a recipe...a bit of extra ginger and stuff could balance it pretty well.

THat's a great way to eat tomatoes...simple, easy, and oh so yummy.

Today I made pasta with veggies for dinner...yum
        Email me!
        Scars remind us of where we've been.
        They don't have to dictate where we're going.~Criminal Minds

Comment

Hey Cookie...and Star.

Here is a page with a bunch of slow cooker meals that you can prep ahead of time (cut all the stuff up and put in Ziploc bags or freezer containers) and pop in the freezer. then when you want one, you just take it out of the freezer, pop it in slow cooker with whatever liquid and turn it on. It is great for couples that work, Cookie, because the prep can be done on some weekend for several then they're stashed in freezer when needed.

The only recipe on this list that I've tried so far is the butter chicken. It's really yummy. We have it over riced cauliflower mixed with rice. But there are several more I plan on trying.

https://www.superhealthykids.com/rec...ooking-needed/
          Email me!

Comment

thanks!

Comment

np
              Taste of Home has a lot of slow cooker recipes as well. And a lot of their recipes are accessible on their site, even if you don't have a subscription. I think for the newer ones, a subscription is needed, but there's lots there even without one. You can go to tasteofhome.com/recipes and search slow cooker, and you'll find loads.
              Last edited by Emily; 08-09-2019, 06:17.
              Email me!

Comment

Emily, that is a neat approach, doing all the chopping and then freezing till a more convenient time to cook the meal!
                Catie

Comment

It really is Catie. I think it's great for busy people, because you can shop, prep it all, throw in the freezer and it'll be ready to cook when you need it. When I've made the butter chicken, usually I do a double batch. Prep one to freeze, and prep one to cook the next day. The good thing about that one is, once you've cooked it, the leftovers also freeze well. So I put leftovers in single serve batches in the freezer, and they're ready to heat and have over rice, or whatever.
                  Email me!

Comment

Nice! All the way round.
                    Catie

Comment

These recipes are great Emily thank you. I'm not able to cook for myself but I can microwave heat meals that are ready prepared. And I don't like my carer to spend too long on cooking as I only have limited time with her & it's taking her away from other things so I tend to buy ready prepared stuff but they are expensive & often not as nutritious as home made. But I buy a slow cooker she could do batches & freeze individual portions without spending very long at all on the preparation. She could even do the chopping on one day & the cooking on the next Am off to investigate slow cooker purchase.

Comment

I recommend a slow cooker with a timer tulip... worth the few extra dollars to auto switch to warm and not burn anything!
                        "We cannot hold a torch to another's path without brightening our own."

Comment

You're welcome, Tulip. I hope that the slow cooker will help with your situation.

That's a good idea Overcome. Mine doesn't have a timer, but I'm always around when I use it, so don't have to worry about that. But it's a good precaution.
                          Email me!

Comment

Its extremely helpful even if i use overnight or if i worry i will fall asleep on the couch or something .... it just makes me feel better!
                            "We cannot hold a torch to another's path without brightening our own."

Comment

Yep. That makes sense.
                              Email me!

Comment

thanks for that impotant tip Overcome

Comment

Join us on twitter to chat, meet new friends, & share resources 

@SurvivorOasis
                                Working...
                                X