Pen pals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pen pals

I’m reading a novel and the main characters grandma is describing how fun it was to have a pen pal and I remember in elementary school I had a pen pal and loved it. Do any of you know is that still a thing?
    are there like organizations... maybe write to elderly, or anyone really (maybe not anyone.... )
    but I just love the feeling of getting a real letter in the mail. A Handwritten letter.... so exciting. Definitely I appreciate technology, like being able to chat here with all of you from all over the world, but there is something so exciting about receiving a letter. Idk, it just sparked my curiosity. I didn’t know if anyone knew of any way or anyone that is still doing that type of communication? Just a wild throw out there...
    "We cannot hold a torch to another's path without brightening our own."

There are still organizations out there, Overcome! There really is something about handwritten letters, isn't there? It just feels so much more personal. There are still pen pal organizations where people are paired up. And there are some geared specifically to seniors, and I think that they're so organized and focused on safety, they actually do full background checks on someone before they pair them with a pen pal, which is good I think since they're giving someone their address. I bet they'd show up in a quick Google.

If you can't find anything let me know. I'm sure I've got some resources for that. I think that in this time of COVID, they've actually been more popular due to isolation, so should be easy to find.
    Email me!
    Scars remind us of where we've been.
    They don't have to dictate where we're going.~Criminal Minds

Comment

That is very exciting news I’ll do a google right now! Yes, that’s the major concern nowadays isn’t it, giving someone the address... I’m so glad that it seems safety is taken into consideration.

Comment

Yeah. It's kind of a shame that it's come to that, re the background checks and such. But esp with seniors, I'm glad they're taking safetly seriously. So many with bad intentions these days. :(

Good luck in your search.
        Email me!

Comment

Thanks initial search came up empty... quite a few of the sites said you had to be in school, a student, or under 30 years old. I’m 31! I saw a few sketchier looking sites, like faux dating more like it. And I found two digital sites, emails not letters....I will dive deeper later, want to finish my book! Lol

Comment

You are very wise for your 31yrs Overcome!

I have a 'pen pal in Texas, i cant tell you how excited i get to receive her mail, she sometimes encloses bits from her local newspaper if she thinks i'll find it interesting, lol it's all endlessly fascinating to me with it being another country. We 'met' at St Pixels online church a decade or so ago and decided to write to one another when it closed down.

I do hope you find someone suitable and safe, I'm sure you would enjoy it. I wonder if you have a hobby or interest that you could search with. Eg horse-riding penpals, or birdwatching penpals or something like that, i have seen a few over the yrs in special interest magazines & such-like. Although they wouldnt be vetted i dont suppose.

Comment

Thanks tulip, yes I find even another state would be so fascinating much less another country! I do so love hearing bits and pieces from other countries from you all here.

I am not having much luck, but it would be a good idea to try a hobby, although I do not have such a fun hobby like those described.... will have to think on it. I’ll let you all know how my search goes.

Comment

Oh right. Forgot to come back to this, Overcome. Sorry. I thought I had a list of pen pal resources, but can't find it. However, I've found that it's a bit easier to find places that seem more legit if you search specifically for pen pals for seniors.

I'll see what I can find as well when I get a chance, and give you anything I may find.
                Email me!

Comment

I will look too, overcome. I love researching things.

If you would be interested in doing postcard exchange, there are quite a few websites that coordinate that!
                  Catie

Comment

Catie I did find a postcard one... but my tiny little state, do we even have postcards, I don’t believe I’ve ever seen one? Lol

I am finding a barrier in my lack of social media. It’s not something I’m willing to negotiate ie sign up for Facebook to have access to this info. I find a lot of links are for social media based groups. I did find one that was start communication online then transfer to letters, but the profile pics look like dating sites.... idk if this type of selfie is the new normal or what?

Emily, I have searched specifically for seniors many times, and I run into three issues, I’m too old... it is just send a letter to a senior, it says the senior most likely won’t respond .... or it’s digital.

I am finding a lot of just send a letter... send a letter to a senior.... send a letter to a poor child overseas.... send a letter to a hurting teen at a psych facility.... not so much a back and forth type correspondence.

im considering just asking my church for a list of elderly shut ins.at this point, it may be easier. I got a notification yesterday that my info had been sold again on the darkweb... I spent four hours changing all my passwords. I’ve had my identity stolen three times. It’s so frustrated, so any site that looks any little bit icky, I’m like nah.
                    Last edited by Overcome; 22-02-2021, 11:40.

Comment

I do hope you find what you're looking for. Knowing your aversion to social media, I sent you some names of sites that do not need FB accounts, etc. to join.
                      Catie

Comment

Join us on twitter to chat, meet new friends, & share resources 

@SurvivorOasis
                      Working...
                      X