Checkin' in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checkin' in

Things are pretty frozen around here (-13 with wind chill temps at -33), with the bomb cyclone about to hit with winds of 40-50 mph later today, but we're safe and warm, and we're prepared for it, or as much as one can be.

I know this particular arctic blast is covering (or going to cover) a lot of the US and Canada, so I wanted to check in and make sure that you're all safe and warm.
    Last edited by Emily; 22-12-2022, 16:22.
    Email me!
    Scars remind us of where we've been.
    They don't have to dictate where we're going.~Criminal Minds

That sounds like high-powered bitter cold weather you're seeing, Emily.

Just a couple days of what's considered very cold here. We're to drip our faucets, leave under-sink cupboards open. Need scoot across town, do the same there today.
    Catie

Comment

Yeah. The difference in the climates from where you are to here, there's a big difference in what's considered severe. In general, we're prepared for it because it's not that abnormal here, but even if it doesn't normally get as cold there, the fact that it doesn't happen as much means the effect can be even more dramatic. I sure hope y'all's power grid holds up this time. Been a bit worried about that.
      Email me!

Comment

Just before I logged on, I was listening to a news cast here and heard of the conditions, with a sound bite from your President, who emphasised its seriousness.

I had turned on my radio, having just awoken and I thought I must have still been dreaming when the newsreader said something about stretching from Maine to the Mexican border.

Keep safe everyone in your part of the world .
        Last edited by Falena Porter; 22-12-2022, 20:37.

Comment

Thank you for your good wishes, Falena.

At at least three of the the great lakes, they're expecting massive waves from the wind. 30 ft in Lake Ontario and 25 in Lake Michigan.

Emily I spent 5 years in a frigid state. My heart goes out to you for enduring the super low temps year after year. Even though you all are more used to it I'm sure it's still very jarring when the deepest freezes and a particularly dangerous weather pattern come. Hope you don't have to go anywhere! That kind of cold is painful.

The grid has definitely crossed our minds. I don't think residents would take very well to a repeat performance.
          Catie

Comment

The wind chills are pretty brutal outside here tonight. But the air temps are actually going to start warming. We should make it to 0 (-17.7c) by tomorrow afternoon for a high. lol.
            Email me!

Comment

All the way up to zero! That kind of weather seems like a shock to anybody's system!
              Catie

Comment

Heh it is cold, Catie. it's funny though, once you get to a certain point...it all kind of feels the same--just cold. lol. Have to admit though, I prefer cold over hot. And it's always nice to have a white Christmas. lol.

I do feel bad for all the folks trying to travel though. So many stranded in airports trying to get to their holiday destination, whether it be home, with family, with friends, with chosen family, whatever.
                Last edited by Emily; 23-12-2022, 04:27.
                Email me!

Comment

Yeah. A slew of delays and cancellations. Such a pivotal holiday and not easy to roll with changes when the opportunity is such a rare one.

BTW I had never in my life heard of a bomb cyclone.
                  Catie

Comment

I'm not sure they've always called them that actually. The technical name for them is I think bombogenesis. Sometimes they're referred to as winter hurricanes because the way they form and instensify I think is similar.
                    Email me!

Comment

very cold here for december...8 degrees now, wind chill is below zero. the wind has died down, and the snow. we got about a half inch or so. it did cover the road, even though it was 50 degrees this morning. roads were wet from rain that changed to snow. same as catie, cabinets open, faucets dripping, outside spigots covered with extra insulation under the cover.
                      the planes are running again now. so, it must be fairly decent. (i live minutes from a major airport). trying to decide if i want to run to the gym tomorrow. just so cold.

Comment

That is really cold for your area, Cookie. Sounds like all your precautions are working, though. So that's good. Stay safe and warm. Maybe see what the temps are and how the roads are tomorrow and decide about the gym then.
                        Email me!

Comment

I live in a place where it never snows. Im wondering why you need to leave cabinets open?

Comment

It's for the water pipes mainly, Falena. If you leave the cabinets under the sinks open the heat can circulate around them and it helps prevent freezing and bursting pipes.
                            Email me!

Comment

So the pipes don’t freeze and the warmth of the house gets into the cupboard.

oops jinx Emily.
                              Email me!

Don't take criticism from people you wouldn't take advice from

Comment

Join us on twitter to chat, meet new friends, & share resources 

@SurvivorOasis
                              Working...
                              X