Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spiritual Content : thoughts on Christmas

Thoughts on Christmas

Luke 2:7-14. I was thinking on it and my mind wandered into the field with those shepherds on that first Christmas…I think it is a place I would have really loved to be. Can you imagine it? Just ordinary folks…maybe seeming a little less than ordinary to some…probably a little more smelly than ordinary …sitting around a campfire in the night…hearing the occasional noises from the sheep as they slept and moved around…settling down for some rest of their own, and then out of the darkness, an angel appears! I’m sure they were both frightened and awestruck. It must have been so hard to hear the angel speak over the sound of their own hearts beating wildly in their ears, and to actually SEE the glory of the LORD shining around them…and the message: the Savior, Messiah they had waited for was here…and God was telling YOU, a lowly shepherd! Then, and this is my favorite part…many angels, multitudes, just EXPLODING into the night sky…shining…singing…praising God! I don’t know that I could have done much more than just fall on the ground, but they managed to pull themselves together enough to run and see this KING. They abandoned all thought of their livelihood, going only to see their hope. It just amazes me that God cares enough about even the most lowly of us, whom others may consider undeserving, to come as our SAVIOR, but also to announce it to the “ordinary” people first. It reminds me that GOD came for me, even me….as unworthy, unholy, deserving of my sentence for sin…yet, HE came for me.

I think, sometimes, that we have to know how “unworthy” we are before we can really come to HIM, to see HIM, to know HIM.

This is lovely, Cookie. Thank you for posting these sweet thoughts.

Seems like God especially reached out to people no one expected him to in Jesus' day. Your shepherds, as well as lepers, fishermen, tax collectors, women who were of ill repute and some from despised regions. A criminal whose heart turned at the end. A religious guy who only came at night when he wouldn't be spotted. Just people with their blemishes, tempers, ambitions and fears.

***********A verse, if that's ok:**************

I've always dearly loved Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

I hope your day is very special this year.
    Catie

Comment

Truly amazing!
      "We cannot hold a torch to another's path without brightening our own."

Comment

thank you cookie! this is wonderful.
        dont leave me all alone frodo...dont go where i cant follow
        my little gentleman

Comment

Beautiful thoughts, cookie. Thank you!
          "My health may fail and my spirit may grow weak, but the LORD remains the strength of my heart. He is mine forever."

Comment

Join us on twitter to chat, meet new friends, & share resources 

@SurvivorOasis
          Working...
          X