Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emily
    replied
    *giggles* Yep. I really love doing like halved little red potatoes or yukon golds in a pan in olive oil with a little garlic and then tossing in chopped fresh dill before serving. I have a few sauce recipes with dill. And a chicken and veg that has dill. I don't use it loads, but have a few recipes that I really enjoy.

LIke you, I didn't have experience with fresh herbs growing up. Once on my own, I started cooking and started trying more, but it's taken me a while to really get the hang of it.

I love thyme in chicken dishes, soups, stews, etc. I love basil in salad dressings or pasta sauce, etc. Oregano in pizza sauce, though I usually just use dried in that...

I hope the mint will be ok for you.
    Last edited by Emily; 14-02-2021, 20:10.

Leave a comment:

• Overcome
    replied
    Dill goes on potatoes? Lol.... I am definitely uncultured, I didn’t even know what you can use dill for. Lol. I grew up on boxed convenient meals, not a herb in sight, and I definitely have learned as An adult I like to cook, but outside of a recipe I have no idea how to use herbs. I’m growing them to learn maybe
    I do love mint and was looking forward to it, good to know it may not be worth it, but for me I bet I’ll be fine lol

Leave a comment:

• Emily
    replied
    Ahh Yeah. I love thyme, rosemary, and basil. I don't reckon it makes you uncultured if you don't like it. Just everyone's different. lol. I like dill, but when I grew it outside, tbh, I found it not worth the work because it went to seed so fast. So I just bought it from the grocery store when I wanted it for potatoes...lol. I may plant my pod just to see how it is though. lol.

I will say, if you like fresh mint, I've seen a lot of folks say that the AG mint is crap. SO if you planted that, you might find that it's not like other fresh mint you'v ehad. I've seen a lot of people say they just buy seeds and plant in grow anything pods cuz they don't like the AG one. I don't care for fresh mint enough to bother, so I've not tried it.

Oh yeah, your mixer for the solution may work, or even a wooden paddle or something just to give it a good stir, just to be sure there's a good ratio in your water before you add to your kratky.

Lol...was definitely eating a lot of salad..I love salad, but it was a bit more than we needed. lol.
    Last edited by Emily; 14-02-2021, 03:41.

Leave a comment:

• Overcome
    replied
    It’s safe!! That’s the best part. No getting sick! Yeah I did a five gallon bucket, maybe I can use my drill extension that I mix my laundry detergent with to give it a good stir before taking some out. I did plant dill.... and to be honest, the only fresh herb I’ve ever had is mint!! I have no idea if I am even going to like these! Particularly basil which I don’t like dried, but they say it tastes different. But I’m a little uncultured I don’t like thyme, or rosemary, or basil.... but hoping fresh makes a different. The pods don’t fit in the gutter as well as I’d hoped and I feel like that could definitely be causing an issue...willing to wait and see.12 lettuce pods at once.... you’d have to be eating a lot of salad!

Leave a comment:

• Emily
    replied
    Oh gosh, that sounds like a stressful problem to have with the possible radon gas going into your sump pump and causing it to run. :( I hope that the source of the huge power increase becomes clear soon, or that once the crack is sealed, that will take care of it. But goodness, I totally can see how that'd be worrisome.

I"m glad that you're enjoying the lettuce. I did find that when mine got bigger and fuller, it became easier to do haircut method most of the time as well. Right now I've got less planted in my garden, so there's more room around each one to harvest. The first time, I planted one entire side (12 pods) with lettuce, and it was practically impossible to keep up with there was so much. lol.

I hope your herbs sprout soon. I mix my kratky solution in a gallon jug so I can shake it up before I use it because I've noticed it likes to settle as well. So not sure if that will help or not, but if it doesn't seem to improve, you can try that. Some things take longer to sprout than others. I've seen a lot of people say that dill, in particular takes a long time, and it's a bit of a drama queen. lol. If you've planted dill, some say to just lay a quarter or something over the hole in the top of the pod to block the light until it sprouts. Sometimes that will do the trick. I've not grown dill yet, though I do have a pod. The only herb I've done is basil, and it got off to a little of a slow start, but is growing gangbusters now.

It's awesome having fresh lettuce whenever you want it, isn't it? Even when the pandemic's all over, I'm sure I'll keep growing lettuce just because then I'm not wasting partial bags from the store, but also don't have to worry about the recalls. It's safe.

Leave a comment:

• Overcome
    replied
    My electric bill was a bit lower but only five dollars. I’m still in search of culprit. My latest thought is perhaps the radon gas thing in the basement? I have a crack which I haven’t had sealed yet at it’s supposed to be 1000.00 and covid stuff, but I learned it could be leaking radon gas in, causing that system to run.... and I have been hearing the sub pump on dry days... the radon gas thing flows into the sub pump..... so it looks like that crack may be a must do.

lettuce.- so so so yummy! Hanging in there for sure, sixty days strong. I had a salad with some tuna last night! I’ve taken to hair cutting the lettuce instead of big leaf harvesting because there are so many big leaves and it’s just simpler to take the scissors and snip therefore my lights stay low. I’m laying in bed right now not wanting to get up yet, but maybe I’ll take a photo later. I did start an aerogarden herb kit in one of the gutters.... about a week ago, nothing has sprouted yet... ;( I’m hoping it’s going to and that my fertilizer blend is okay. I mixed according to instructions but noticed some settling in the bucket when I got some out for pouring.

I think the best part is I am trying hard to meal plan and only shop once a month at the grocery meaning I would only get a week of lettuce if that for the month... but with this , I can have safe, fresh lettuce continually.
    Last edited by Overcome; 13-02-2021, 12:25.

Leave a comment:

• Emily
    replied
    Wondering how your lettuce is doing, Overcome?

Leave a comment:

• Emily
    replied
    I can see why you were floored by the difference in the bill. I hope that there's some explanation soon that will make sense. I really just can't imagine that it's your garden though.

Don't know if this helps or not, but I found it on AG website: How much energy does the AeroGarden use? | AeroGarden Blog

By their chart, mine costs more than they suggest, so it may be more than I thought. However, like I said my bill fluctuates a bit. However, your Harvest should be according to them, only around 1.33 per month. That's using the nationwide average, I think of .11 kilowatts per hour. But even if yours is more, shouldn't be more than a couple bucks, I'd think.
    Last edited by Emily; 04-02-2021, 04:37.

Leave a comment:

• Overcome
    replied
    Right yes, if this months bill is high I will call. I do know there was a rate increase, but that happened in oct, and I only saw a couple dollars increase in oct and nov bills. My dryer is electric and my winter clothes seems to take up twice as much space, but I’ve lived here five years, it would be the same each winter.... my gas and electric flip flop, one is hovering about 100-120 when it’s the temperature control (and I keep it 60 in the winter and 80 in the summer, I try so hard to keep it down!) and the other is 35-45. My December electric bill which should have been 35 ish was 96! I was appalled. So I will definitely call if Jan is high also as something is the matter! Good to know that even with the farm (yes almost double the strength in lights I believe ) it didn’t impact like that!

Leave a comment:

• Emily
    replied
    Oh gosh, $50. Honestly, I don't see any possible way that either your garden your your Christmas lights, or even a combo of both, would end up costing that much. If any difference at all, mine isn't more than 2 or 3 dollars, and that's for the Farm Plus with 24 pod spaces, stronger lights, and (I think) stronger pump than the Harvest. My power bill fluctuates a bit, but it's hard to tell. My bill has been pretty comparable to last year's bill, though. It might be worth contacting your electric company, to inquire what they may suggest as a place to look. Because if that's the only two things that have changed, it really doesn't sound right at all.

Leave a comment:

• Overcome
    replied
    Yes the clip on is led. The Christmas lights are incandescent, but only the tree. I don’t decorate the outside. Just one string of lights. And only on in the evening between me getting home and bedtime. So idk. But my electric bill was 50.00 higher than I was expecting. And way out of character for a winter electric bill (when it’s lower) . Zucchini yum!!!

Leave a comment:

• Emily
    replied
    I do that as well, Overcome, unplug small appliances when not in use, etc. Is your clip on light also LED? Like I said, we really didn't notice a discernable difference in electric. So it'll be interesting to see how yours fairs without your Christmas lights (are they incandescent or LED?).

The cucumbers and cabbage were an experiment. So I'm not crushed about it. I'll just try again. lol. I also want to try to grow zucchini, though not sure I've really got space for that. lol.

I bought my seeds at Renee's Garden. They do have a lot of heirloom varieties, as well as a fair amount of organic seeds. They don't actually have to be heirloom or organic (the seeds that I bought were neither). For me, I was focused on more compact plants when I was searching, due to ag space, and overall space. And I think I settled too quickly on the cucumber. But they have a lot of variety, and the seeds that I bought from them sprouted quickly without any problems.. I've seen a lot of people recommend Johnny's seeds. But according to their website, right now they're only selling to commercial farmers. So not sure when that may change.

Leave a comment:

• Overcome
    replied
    Hope I don’t have a green thumb but I found asparagus and strawberries in a raised bed do well together. Just don’t eat the asparagus for three years, it’s a patience tester! That’s what I have in my raised bed anyway. The aerogarden helps me for inside.
    yes, Emily I have a cheap but well reviewed clip on grow light but due to the electricity increase that I seemed to have I don’t turn it on much. Lol I’m curious to see how this month fairs with the bill and go from there. I didn’t really have my Christmas lights on more than I should. I unplug all small appliances between use I wonder what else it could be. Sorry to hear about your cucumbers and cabage I suppose tomatoes too heavy is a good problem to have lol. Where do you buy your seeds? Do they have to be heirloom, I’m trying to understand more about that process now .

Leave a comment:

• Emily
    replied
    Its' really cool that you're planning a vegetable garden, Hope. That sounds like a really nice size. I've not had much luck with outside vegetable gardening myself, though I have done herbs outside with some pretty good luck. With a garden that size, it sounds like you'll be able to grow whatever you enjoy. That's awesome.

Leave a comment:

• Hopetothrive
    replied
    I’m beginning to plan a vegetable garden. About 10 x 30 spot. Sunny. Bad clay soil so I’m doing raised beds in 5 gallon Home Depot containers. I would love to hear about any garden websites with plans for what to plant where. Thanks! I’m excited to do this. My primary family ridiculed me my whole life for not being able to do gardens. But I find I love gardening! I have another spot for raising herbs and yet another for medicinal plants. Those are easier. I’ve never had a large veggie garden before—just 3-4 tomato plants, chard, etc. Plus some herbs and medicinal plants. So this will be a new adventure!

Leave a comment:

Join us on twitter to chat, meet new friends, & share resources 

@SurvivorOasis
Working...
X