No announcement yet.

Garden Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh gosh, that sounds like a stressful problem to have with the possible radon gas going into your sump pump and causing it to run. :( I hope that the source of the huge power increase becomes clear soon, or that once the crack is sealed, that will take care of it. But goodness, I totally can see how that'd be worrisome.

I"m glad that you're enjoying the lettuce. I did find that when mine got bigger and fuller, it became easier to do haircut method most of the time as well. Right now I've got less planted in my garden, so there's more room around each one to harvest. The first time, I planted one entire side (12 pods) with lettuce, and it was practically impossible to keep up with there was so much. lol.

I hope your herbs sprout soon. I mix my kratky solution in a gallon jug so I can shake it up before I use it because I've noticed it likes to settle as well. So not sure if that will help or not, but if it doesn't seem to improve, you can try that. Some things take longer to sprout than others. I've seen a lot of people say that dill, in particular takes a long time, and it's a bit of a drama queen. lol. If you've planted dill, some say to just lay a quarter or something over the hole in the top of the pod to block the light until it sprouts. Sometimes that will do the trick. I've not grown dill yet, though I do have a pod. The only herb I've done is basil, and it got off to a little of a slow start, but is growing gangbusters now.

It's awesome having fresh lettuce whenever you want it, isn't it? Even when the pandemic's all over, I'm sure I'll keep growing lettuce just because then I'm not wasting partial bags from the store, but also don't have to worry about the recalls. It's safe.

Email me!
    Scars remind us of where we've been.
    They don't have to dictate where we're going.~Criminal Minds

Comment

It’s safe!! That’s the best part. No getting sick! Yeah I did a five gallon bucket, maybe I can use my drill extension that I mix my laundry detergent with to give it a good stir before taking some out. I did plant dill.... and to be honest, the only fresh herb I’ve ever had is mint!! I have no idea if I am even going to like these! Particularly basil which I don’t like dried, but they say it tastes different. But I’m a little uncultured I don’t like thyme, or rosemary, or basil.... but hoping fresh makes a different. The pods don’t fit in the gutter as well as I’d hoped and I feel like that could definitely be causing an issue...willing to wait and see.12 lettuce pods at once.... you’d have to be eating a lot of salad!
      "We cannot hold a torch to another's path without brightening our own."

Comment

Ahh Yeah. I love thyme, rosemary, and basil. I don't reckon it makes you uncultured if you don't like it. Just everyone's different. lol. I like dill, but when I grew it outside, tbh, I found it not worth the work because it went to seed so fast. So I just bought it from the grocery store when I wanted it for potatoes...lol. I may plant my pod just to see how it is though. lol.

I will say, if you like fresh mint, I've seen a lot of folks say that the AG mint is crap. SO if you planted that, you might find that it's not like other fresh mint you'v ehad. I've seen a lot of people say they just buy seeds and plant in grow anything pods cuz they don't like the AG one. I don't care for fresh mint enough to bother, so I've not tried it.

Oh yeah, your mixer for the solution may work, or even a wooden paddle or something just to give it a good stir, just to be sure there's a good ratio in your water before you add to your kratky.

Lol...was definitely eating a lot of salad..I love salad, but it was a bit more than we needed. lol.
        Last edited by Emily; 14-02-2021, 03:41.
        Email me!

Comment

Dill goes on potatoes? Lol.... I am definitely uncultured, I didn’t even know what you can use dill for. Lol. I grew up on boxed convenient meals, not a herb in sight, and I definitely have learned as An adult I like to cook, but outside of a recipe I have no idea how to use herbs. I’m growing them to learn maybe
          I do love mint and was looking forward to it, good to know it may not be worth it, but for me I bet I’ll be fine lol

Comment

*giggles* Yep. I really love doing like halved little red potatoes or yukon golds in a pan in olive oil with a little garlic and then tossing in chopped fresh dill before serving. I have a few sauce recipes with dill. And a chicken and veg that has dill. I don't use it loads, but have a few recipes that I really enjoy.

LIke you, I didn't have experience with fresh herbs growing up. Once on my own, I started cooking and started trying more, but it's taken me a while to really get the hang of it.

I love thyme in chicken dishes, soups, stews, etc. I love basil in salad dressings or pasta sauce, etc. Oregano in pizza sauce, though I usually just use dried in that...

I hope the mint will be ok for you.
            Last edited by Emily; 14-02-2021, 20:10.
            Email me!

Comment

Update my lettuce is almost 100 days, in the 90s and going strong. It was getting so big and crowded so I moved half of the plants over to a gutter and am leaving half of them in the aerogarden, but may move them all and start new before they die in the aerogarden. My herbs are slow growing but hanging in there.
              Attached Files

Comment

Oh they look great!

You might find that the herbs are slow, then they'll take off and you will have more than you know what to do with. lol. My basil's sorta like that. I've been harvesting it and freezing it.

It all looks wonderfully healthy though.

Email me!

Comment

So colorful and leafy, Overcome!
                  Catie

Comment

Do you freeze in oil? Yeah Catie is it really pretty the reds and purples with the green. I’m so pleased with this small investment. Really worth it so far!

Comment

I do with the basil, Overcome. I just chop it up pretty fine, put it in ice cube trays, pour olive oil over, and pop it in the freezer. Once it's frozen, then I pop out of the trays and into a freezer bag or container. For thyme, I just freeze that in sprigs usually, and same for oregano most of the time, though I've done both in oil. But often I'll just drop sprigs of thyme into recipes, so I don't bother to take it off the stem most of the time. Part of that is how I use it and part of is just lazy. lol

Email me!

Comment

Join us on twitter to chat, meet new friends, & share resources 

@SurvivorOasis
                      Working...
                      X