No announcement yet.

Garden Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh....if your lettuce is still looking ok, I think because you just fed it, I'd wait like 48 hours then retest. Cuz I think adding food may mess up the readings for a bit. If it's still really acidic (low) then, I'd say use the PH Up. I bought the same ph testing kit, because I didn't want to deal with meter calibration either. lol. I only test my ag if my plants look "off". otherwise, I only use it in my Kratky. lol

I reckon if your garlic's still looking ok, you'll be good until you get to it. Yeah, sounds like the basement's a good choice, for summer. I'd love to be able to put some of my stuff in my upstairs (second floor), but it gets so hot up there in summer, I didn't even consider it. And they seem to be happy in the basement.

I love your shelf and it's a great idea to be saving the containers, etc. I'm gonna collect some more bottles and jars, and I think when Spring hits and I can get outside, I'll spray paint them all same or complementing colors.
    Last edited by Emily; 10-01-2021, 04:31.
    Email me!
    Scars remind us of where we've been.
    They don't have to dictate where we're going.~Criminal Minds

Comment

Ooooooo! I was reading about paint it black then white? Or white then black? Now I can’t remember .lol . Or just wrap in foil. Lol that may be my go to. But spray paint would be fun and easier perhaps. so do you test the nutrient solution in each jar or do you test the solution after you make it before pouring it into the jars?
      yes come March to the basement we will go but I started upstairs just for ease of staring at it all the time.
      "We cannot hold a torch to another's path without brightening our own."

Comment

Yep. I think if you spray paint them black first, then you can pretty much put whatever color you want on them. The key is that you don't want the light getting in to cause algae. So as long as you achieve that, you can go crazy. I've seen also a lot of people put a strip of tape on their container before spraying. That way they can pull it down to check water level without having to remove the top, and then seal it back up. I think that'd be handy for some containers with smaller tops where the pod just sits in top. But for others where you have a lid to remove, I probably would just paint the whole thing.

I mix a gallon of water with nutrients, and then after it sits for a day, I test it. I use that to keep my kratky topped up. I've gotten so I'm not testing every time I mix anymore because i really was finding the readings pretty consistent. So now I do it about once a month, unless I notice a change in the health of the plants. I also use a TDS meter to measure nutrients, and mix one jug for greens, and another for fruiting plants that like/need more food. There's a chart that is a pretty good guide for ppm for that. When I'm on later, I'll try to remember to pop it on here as an attachment so you'll have it if you need it.
        Email me!

Comment

Hello there. How are your jars fairing? How about the cucumber?
          I thought I’d update. My lettuce is still going fairly strong although it doesn’t grow quite as fast now, but I did trim the roots and while I thought I was being quite conservative perhaps I did more than 1/3? I also notice that the under leaves are wilting and drying up... it has done this now for about three weeks. I just pick them off and keep on going. The other leaves seem to be fine. I did put a picture Emily if you have any wisdom. It has been 51 days since planting. I did receive my kratky gutter that I couldn’t resist after watching the YouTuber and he had a 50% off sale for Christmas. So 20.00 for 12 plant spaces! I did notice when I went back to leave my review that he increased prices a bit so I’m glad I got in while I did! Everything that was in a jar is now in that gutter. I am planning on when my lettuce dies, to use the aerogarden as a seed starter only, and then when the sprouts are big enough transfer them to the jars and gutter system. At least that’s the thought. As otherwise, I continually will need aerogardens to grow more things which I want to do but can’t afford the electric, space, or the units for all I want. My electric bill was up considerably last month, I’m hoping it was a combo of the aerogarden and the Christmas lights, and that it will be better not worse this month. Jars are free! I am just reusing what I already bought ex my peanut butter comes in a glass jar, I eat hot peppers from a glass jar, etc. I’m not sure at all how my things transferred from jars to the gutter will fair as none of them are meant to grow in jars really to begin with (garlic, celery). The garlic is hanging in there without any growing medium or dirt. But idk for how much longer. I have a pack of dirt meant to be delivered feb 14.... we will see. The last order I placed with it, they were out and it didn’t come.
          Attached Files

Comment

Oh,, your gutter is really cool. Do you have an extra light on them at all? (It kinds looks like an extra light, but hard to tell.)

I think the brown on your lettuce is really just the bottom outside leaves that don't get the light cuz of shade from the rest will wilt and go brown. I just pick those off and toss them as well. But your plants look super healthy, so I think you're good.

There wasn't really a noticeable increase in our power bill from the Farm. So it's shocking that you had such an increase.

My garden's in transition. lol. With my kratky buckets, the cucumbers weren't very great for eating. I decided that I didn't want to put more energy into something I didn't enjoy eating, so I pulled it. So I'll order some different seeds and try a different variety. We did get a couple of cucumbers to try first though. They were ok, but not very sweet. It's kinda my fault, as I ordered a pickling variety. Had I been thinking I would have gone with something else. I think when I order more seeds, I'll probably go with a seedless variety that is parthenocarpic so I don't have to pollinate them. lol

My cabbage started getting black streaks up the spine of the leaves. I was worried it would transfer to other plants, so I tossed it. But I did replant cabbage in a pod in the Farm when I replanted lettuce a couple of weeks ago. I think I'll leave it in the farm this time to see how it does.

My bok choy is still going strong. I harvest several leaves every week or two for stir fry, and it keeps producing. I also have basil in kratky that's growing really well, and seems super happy.

My big mega tomato plant broke. The branches got too heavy. I cut off half, and it's putting out new growth. But I've also replanted a new one, and I think i'lll just move the new one to the tomato side once it grows a bit. My other cherry tomatoes are still doing well though.

I'm going ot order some more seeds and more grow anything supplies, and try some other things. But for now, I'm in a transitional period, so holding off a bit, but working on a list of seeds I want. lol
            Last edited by Emily; 02-02-2021, 03:57.
            Email me!

Comment

I’m beginning to plan a vegetable garden. About 10 x 30 spot. Sunny. Bad clay soil so I’m doing raised beds in 5 gallon Home Depot containers. I would love to hear about any garden websites with plans for what to plant where. Thanks! I’m excited to do this. My primary family ridiculed me my whole life for not being able to do gardens. But I find I love gardening! I have another spot for raising herbs and yet another for medicinal plants. Those are easier. I’ve never had a large veggie garden before—just 3-4 tomato plants, chard, etc. Plus some herbs and medicinal plants. So this will be a new adventure!
              All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle. ― Francis of Assisi

Comment

Its' really cool that you're planning a vegetable garden, Hope. That sounds like a really nice size. I've not had much luck with outside vegetable gardening myself, though I have done herbs outside with some pretty good luck. With a garden that size, it sounds like you'll be able to grow whatever you enjoy. That's awesome.

Email me!

Comment

Hope I don’t have a green thumb but I found asparagus and strawberries in a raised bed do well together. Just don’t eat the asparagus for three years, it’s a patience tester! That’s what I have in my raised bed anyway. The aerogarden helps me for inside.
                  yes, Emily I have a cheap but well reviewed clip on grow light but due to the electricity increase that I seemed to have I don’t turn it on much. Lol I’m curious to see how this month fairs with the bill and go from there. I didn’t really have my Christmas lights on more than I should. I unplug all small appliances between use I wonder what else it could be. Sorry to hear about your cucumbers and cabage I suppose tomatoes too heavy is a good problem to have lol. Where do you buy your seeds? Do they have to be heirloom, I’m trying to understand more about that process now .

Comment

I do that as well, Overcome, unplug small appliances when not in use, etc. Is your clip on light also LED? Like I said, we really didn't notice a discernable difference in electric. So it'll be interesting to see how yours fairs without your Christmas lights (are they incandescent or LED?).

The cucumbers and cabbage were an experiment. So I'm not crushed about it. I'll just try again. lol. I also want to try to grow zucchini, though not sure I've really got space for that. lol.

I bought my seeds at Renee's Garden. They do have a lot of heirloom varieties, as well as a fair amount of organic seeds. They don't actually have to be heirloom or organic (the seeds that I bought were neither). For me, I was focused on more compact plants when I was searching, due to ag space, and overall space. And I think I settled too quickly on the cucumber. But they have a lot of variety, and the seeds that I bought from them sprouted quickly without any problems.. I've seen a lot of people recommend Johnny's seeds. But according to their website, right now they're only selling to commercial farmers. So not sure when that may change.
                    Email me!

Comment

Yes the clip on is led. The Christmas lights are incandescent, but only the tree. I don’t decorate the outside. Just one string of lights. And only on in the evening between me getting home and bedtime. So idk. But my electric bill was 50.00 higher than I was expecting. And way out of character for a winter electric bill (when it’s lower) . Zucchini yum!!!

Comment

Oh gosh, $50. Honestly, I don't see any possible way that either your garden your your Christmas lights, or even a combo of both, would end up costing that much. If any difference at all, mine isn't more than 2 or 3 dollars, and that's for the Farm Plus with 24 pod spaces, stronger lights, and (I think) stronger pump than the Harvest. My power bill fluctuates a bit, but it's hard to tell. My bill has been pretty comparable to last year's bill, though. It might be worth contacting your electric company, to inquire what they may suggest as a place to look. Because if that's the only two things that have changed, it really doesn't sound right at all.

Email me!

Comment

Right yes, if this months bill is high I will call. I do know there was a rate increase, but that happened in oct, and I only saw a couple dollars increase in oct and nov bills. My dryer is electric and my winter clothes seems to take up twice as much space, but I’ve lived here five years, it would be the same each winter.... my gas and electric flip flop, one is hovering about 100-120 when it’s the temperature control (and I keep it 60 in the winter and 80 in the summer, I try so hard to keep it down!) and the other is 35-45. My December electric bill which should have been 35 ish was 96! I was appalled. So I will definitely call if Jan is high also as something is the matter! Good to know that even with the farm (yes almost double the strength in lights I believe ) it didn’t impact like that!

Comment

I can see why you were floored by the difference in the bill. I hope that there's some explanation soon that will make sense. I really just can't imagine that it's your garden though.

Don't know if this helps or not, but I found it on AG website: How much energy does the AeroGarden use? | AeroGarden Blog

By their chart, mine costs more than they suggest, so it may be more than I thought. However, like I said my bill fluctuates a bit. However, your Harvest should be according to them, only around 1.33 per month. That's using the nationwide average, I think of .11 kilowatts per hour. But even if yours is more, shouldn't be more than a couple bucks, I'd think.
                            Last edited by Emily; 04-02-2021, 04:37.
                            Email me!

Comment

Wondering how your lettuce is doing, Overcome?
                              Email me!

Comment

My electric bill was a bit lower but only five dollars. I’m still in search of culprit. My latest thought is perhaps the radon gas thing in the basement? I have a crack which I haven’t had sealed yet at it’s supposed to be 1000.00 and covid stuff, but I learned it could be leaking radon gas in, causing that system to run.... and I have been hearing the sub pump on dry days... the radon gas thing flows into the sub pump..... so it looks like that crack may be a must do.

lettuce.- so so so yummy! Hanging in there for sure, sixty days strong. I had a salad with some tuna last night! I’ve taken to hair cutting the lettuce instead of big leaf harvesting because there are so many big leaves and it’s just simpler to take the scissors and snip therefore my lights stay low. I’m laying in bed right now not wanting to get up yet, but maybe I’ll take a photo later. I did start an aerogarden herb kit in one of the gutters.... about a week ago, nothing has sprouted yet... ;( I’m hoping it’s going to and that my fertilizer blend is okay. I mixed according to instructions but noticed some settling in the bucket when I got some out for pouring.

I think the best part is I am trying hard to meal plan and only shop once a month at the grocery meaning I would only get a week of lettuce if that for the month... but with this , I can have safe, fresh lettuce continually.
                                Last edited by Overcome; 13-02-2021, 12:25.

Comment

Join us on twitter to chat, meet new friends, & share resources 

@SurvivorOasis
                                Working...
                                X