No announcement yet.

Garden Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I decided to take the dome off one other this morning.
    Attached Files
    "We cannot hold a torch to another's path without brightening our own."

Comment

They look great (even standing on their heads....hehe)! They all look like they're doing so well. So exciting.
      Email me!
      Scars remind us of where we've been.
      They don't have to dictate where we're going.~Criminal Minds

Comment

i know I’m not sure how that happened with the photo. Lol. I just sit and watch them sometimes like I’m going to see the growth hahahaha. But I do feel like overnight they definitely make visible growth. It’s amazing. In three days I have to do more food, can’t wait to see if they just take off.

Comment

Hehe. it amused me. So glad it happened with the photo. lol.

Wow....could just change the phrase "like watching grass grow" to "like watching lettuce grow." lol

They totally do have visible growth overnight. I've even noticed it in a few hours, like from early day to later in the day. It is amazing.

Yep, once you feed them, you'll probably notice a growth spurt. Lettuce doesn't need loads re food, but I've noticed that all of my plants do seem to have a surge just after feeding. lol
          Email me!

Comment

So thought I'd update on my garden as well. Cucumbers, bok choy, and napa cabbage going strong in buckets (though napa a bit slower). Tomatoes and lettuce still going strong in the Farm, and a little basil about ready to transfer to it's own bucket as well. As you can see, my bok choy has plans of world domination (This is after multiple harvests).
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4084.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1466363Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4085.JPG
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1466368Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4078.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	1466364Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4082.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	1466365Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4087.JPG
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1466366Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4081.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1466367
            Email me!

Comment

Overcome your little sprouts are so cute.

Emily, everything looks amazing especially you cucumber. I've thought about doing cucumber on a trellis several because I always have trouble with the fruit on the ground and bugs, but I wasn't sure the vines could handle the weight, looking at yours I'm more inclined to try that in the spring.

so far the rabbits have stayed out of the stuff I put in the ground (I have some fencing, but it's not great) and the turnips that I put in little individual things and are in my kitchen window have sprouted, they are so super cute. I like sprouting things in my kitchen window I have a chance to watch it closer and they are so cute when they're little.
              Moonflower

Comment

Yep. I know they sell trellises specifically for cucumbers, so they should do well trellised. I guess if you're worried, you could go with a smaller variety. The ones that I planted are supposed to be 6-8 inches long, so not too big (or heavy). And there are other of course small varieties that most use for pickles, etc. But the vines are pretty sturdy, so I think it'd be ok.

I think sprouting in your kitchen window sounds like a good idea. It's great that your turnips are off to a good start.

It's good that the rabbits have stayed out of what you've got planted so far. Hopefully that'll continue to work.
                Last edited by Emily; 24-12-2020, 16:13.
                Email me!

Comment

Your book choy is planning world domination lol
                  so excited to see your cucumber. It looks so yummy. So I’ve been messing with all these YouTube videos on kratky.... what do you use in your buckets to start the seed, or do you start them in the aerogarden? So exciting

moonflower I’m glad the rabbits have left you in peace. Yes... why is it that sprouts are so cute?

Comment

Hehe. Yeah. Not sure why this bok choy doesn't grow up in a cluster like the ones you buy in the store. I think it's the variety...But this type does allow to just harvest outer leaves (like with lettuce), and it'll keep growing. I think I've harvested from it 4 or 5 times already.

I actually just used the grow anything kit from Aerogarden and put my own seeds in that I ordered from elsewhere. And I use AG nutrietns in my kratky buckets. Just seemed easier than bothering with multiple things. I started these plants in my Aerogarden. But you can start them in Kratky as well.

If you start them in Kratky, just let the water/nutrient mixture come up a half inch or so on the grow sponge, so it'll absorb it. Once the roots have grown, I only fill to about half inch below the grow sponge, so it's not touching, but the roots are in the water. This insures loads of space for air roots. And I just check them every few days to make sure the water level's good. I keep a gallon jug of water mixed with nutrients, so I can just top them up with that. The only thing that I do differently is that I add calmag to my cucumbers (fruiting plants seem to do better with it, and it prevents blossom end rot on things like tomatoes, peppers, and other fruiting plants.)

I know there are other ways to start plants in kratky, buying different grow baskets, and rock wool, and other things. But I wanted to keep it simple, so I just used the AG cages and sponges, and cut the hole in the bucket lids that fit those.

I have a grow bulb in the lamp by my cucumbers and bok choy. But I think that both they and my cabbage could use a little more. So I'm considering getting another grow light panel (plus, i want to grow more stuff! lol) to increase the light coverage.
                    Last edited by Emily; 24-12-2020, 16:34.
                    Email me!

Comment

I love keeping it simple! I got my fan out to blow on my lettuce today. Lol

Comment

Your lettuce will thank you. lol. And you'll be glad for crunchier lettuce. lol.

Yep. I always try the simplest way first. And if it works, why complicate it. lol.

Email me!

Comment

Is your basement finished? Mine is not.... I was wondering if it would be too cold or whatnot down there... no natural light but the grow panel takes care of that .

Comment

The side of the basement where I have my garden is not finished. It does have a heating vent that keeps it from getting below probably 60, but it can get pretty cool sometimes in the winter. Honest, I've wondered how my garden would do in winter. The lettuce should be fine, because it loves cool weather (a lot of folks even put an ice cube or two in the water every day just to keep it happy). But cucumbers like it warmer. So far mine's doing ok. We're just getting into our super cold season, and temps have been below 0 overnights. And so far, so good.

Email me!

Comment

Some of these pics look great. I tend to envy a nice veggie garden. But I don't prioritise time to have one.
                              This year our church did a 'Seed Swap' for six gardeners to bring seeds and plants to church and hold a free-trade table. The good thing was that even non-gardeners (like myself), could take what they liked and try their hand at growing something.

I took home a single tomato plant. I planted it in an area where our fire pit had been emptied a few months beforehand. I had read that potash is good for gardens.

Anyway, I think it's going okay. Although the older leaves are a little yellow, new ones are looking healthy and green. I am lushly doing nothing, other than watering it when I remember... approx twice a week.

Like I said, I'm a non-gardener... But I do enjoy home grown produce whenever some comes our way.

Comment

I gave the lettuce food today and did a complete water change.... well did a complete water change and then gave food lol. I’m not that bad. It’s so cute to see their little roots grow. And now I’m staring at them like the food was a magic solution that is going to make them pop up and grow huge. Hahahahha. Emily I tried looking up how to tell what type of salad green this was. And I got lots of conflicting things like maybe it has changed over time. Red tipped something is definitely in there as each pod has a leaf or two that is purple red colored. In fact that seems to be what is growing the most. But these tiny green leaves have got to. E something.... lol
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Overcome; 26-12-2020, 14:15.

Comment

Join us on twitter to chat, meet new friends, & share resources 

@SurvivorOasis
                                Working...
                                X