No announcement yet.

Garden Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love looking at your plants, the hydroponics is so interesting to me.

I finally got my sweet peppers in the ground the other day. They were doing great in their pots until we had the tropical storm and I had to move them. They seem to be perking back up though and even when they were stressed they never dropped their fruit.

I really want to add more stuff to my garden, but I have to keep in mind how time intensive my next semester will be. Last night I got myself 6 broccoli seedlings, 2 cherry tomato, and one full sized tomato to add into the area I can fence. They are all super easy I just have to keep an eye out for horn worms with the tomatoes.

I got turnip and carrot seeds to experiment with on my porch. I mulch my beds really heavily with seaweed and grass clippings so I generally have to start seeds elsewhere, but with the exception of potatoes root veggies don't seem to transplant well so I'm going to try these guys in a container.

Oh, and my one papaya is thriving. I have never seen one tree put out so much fruit, there is no way I'm going to eat it all. I just hope they last until they are ripe, I know some people will eat green papaya, but I only like them ripe.
    Moonflower

Comment

So awesome moonflower. I’m so glad your plant survived the storm

i can’t believe this is only day 6!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Overcome; 18-12-2020, 19:51.
      "We cannot hold a torch to another's path without brightening our own."

Comment

That's great that your peppers don't seem to have suffered too much from the storms, Moonflower. Awesome you were able to get them transplanted.

Oh watch them grow, Overcome. They're looking great. It's so fun when they start peeking up over the paper covers. And the growth really seems to just take off from there. So exciting!
        Email me!
        Scars remind us of where we've been.
        They don't have to dictate where we're going.~Criminal Minds

Comment

Overcome they are so cute

Broccoli and tomatoes went in the ground yesterday and I started short and sweet carrots in a container that I plan to keep them in. If I have to thin them I may move some to the ground. With the turnips I'm trying to start them in individual things and see if I can transplant them.

I brought in some more avocados to ripen, I'd taken a break from them for about two weeks they are really getting big now.

It looks like my 2 smallest papayas are female, so I have 1 that seems to be hemarphorditic, but seems to be putting out male fruit, 1 hereme that is fruiting, the 1 that started as a female and changed and now 2 female. It's interesting the go on a continuum with the most male like plants on the west side and the females on the east (which gets more sun) so I wonder how much sun exposure has to do with sex. Things that make you go hmmm.

Oh and I was watching my loquat for a bit yesterday and the bees were hard at work so I may even get some loquats this year, that would be exciting and yummy
          Moonflower

Comment

Oh to have fresh avocados! Yum!!

Comment

They are amazing, I have so many of them I get tired of them sometimes. They don't ripen on the tree so I generally have avocado from Sept - Feb(ish), I have given so many away this year and still easily have 20 on the tree.
              Moonflower

Comment

Wow! A little green with envy hahhahaha . Just kidding (mostly )

Comment

That's a lot of progress, Moonflower. Sounds like your garden is going to be very productive.

Too bad avocadoes don't grow in colder climates. That'd be awesome.
                  Email me!

Comment

I'll have to see how things turn out, but finger's crossed. I usually do well with broccoli and tomatoes. Last winter I only got the 1st two broccoli heads that I harvested, the next night the marsh rabbits devoured the other ones. I tried trimming the stalks down because I usually get the little ones on the side once I take the biggest head but they never produced again. I am very ready for some fresh broccoli.

When I was a kid we had a lot of citrus, grew cantaloupe in the vacant lot next door, and I grew huge tomatoes.

We lost the citrus trees during a bad flood when I was in middle school, they were just under water too long and my dad never replanted. The vacant lot is no longer vacant it has a huge box of a house with a pool and properly manicured lawn and the banana trees that I would plant my tomatoes (that only grew the most pathetic bananas ever) were taken out by the people who built the super fancy house on the other side of us so they could put in their pretty hedges.

My parents moved out here with the thought of eating the mullet and blue crabs and growing citrus and other fruit, that's the story I've been told at least, far before my time, then life and their alcoholism got them and they stopped trying except for this one avocado tree that my dad finally got to grow. I've always liked growing things and I think they had the right idea so I want to get back to that. Honestly this is just the start of what I want to do, but it's what I can manage right now.
                    Moonflower

Comment

The other thing I'm trying to grow is dragon fruit, but they haven't gotten bigger for months basically the same size as right after they germinated.
                      Moonflower

Comment

Gardening is quite a big undertaking. It sounds like you’re doing your best right now, and that’s saying something. I have tried broccoli and couldn’t get it to grow.

my baby lettuce is poking through the paper. The picture is deceptive still about 1/3 inch before hitting the top of the dome. But it’s definitely growing! The first three pods nearer the window are smaller and the ones that are to the back are taller. Interesting huh? I have my lights timed so that when it gets dark out the light is off so it’s not a case of too much light from the window.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Looks like your baby lettuce is doing great, Overcome. The difference between the speed of your pods could also be whatever variety is in the other pods is just a little slower than the ones that seem to be doing better. I've had some that were a little slower. If I remember correctly, the salad green pods are a variety, and from my experience the butter varieties of the lettuce were a little slower growing. Hopefully they'll be up and out of the paper soon.
                          Email me!

Comment

Overcome, they are super cute, getting so big so fast
                            Moonflower

Comment

I took the domes off the back three today they aren’t quite to the top but we’re spreading out so much the sides looked cramped. The first three are still tiny. But like you said could be variety.

Comment

Ahh yeah. I took the grow domes off a couple of mine when they reached out on the sides as well. I should have said when they touch the domes. Sorry. But I think that's the right decision. Hopefully the others will catch up soon. But yeah, I'd guess probably different variety.
                                Email me!

Comment

Join us on twitter to chat, meet new friends, & share resources 

@SurvivorOasis
                                Working...
                                X