No announcement yet.

Garden Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What fun. At the end of this year, I hope to build a good sized raised garden in my year to have some fresh veggies next Summer and Fall. I will try to keep you all posted!

Comment

Thanks Nane and Catie. The cucumber's blossoms are opening. Well, I have 2 blossoms open. But they're both "female", so I don't have a "male" flower open yet to pollinate them. I'm hoping that will happen before it's too late. But if not, I do have other flowers coming. And hopefully, I'll have a male flower by then to pollinate.

I decided to trim off the leaf that had the spots. The rest seems healthy and happy. So we'll see how it goes.

My tomatoes, as you can see in the photos above are very happy. We're having loads of salad. The mega cherry tomatoes are big for cherry tomatoes, often more like small regular tomatoes. They continue to put out blossoms, and so I have loads of tomatoes at different stages on the plant. This is useful because they seem to be ripening in waves, and so far we're not having trouble using them. If we start to get overrun, we can make salsa, or some sauce with them. lol The heirloom cherry tomatoes are small. The first wave of goldens came and went. They didn't start blossoming again until after all the tomatoes on the plant were harvested. So there'll be time on those plants without anything available from them. With teh big tomato plant, that's ok, since we're not left without tomatoes. But I think in the future when it comes time to replant tomatoes, I may only do the mega...or maybe try a different variety.

Thanks Woodsy. Raised beds is a great way to garden. I don't try to do any veg outside because of critters in the yard eating them before I do. Also, we have a fairly short growing season. So indoor hydroponics is the best solution for me for now. lol. But I've always thought it'd be cool to have a great veg garden in raised beds.
      Email me!
      Scars remind us of where we've been.
      They don't have to dictate where we're going.~Criminal Minds

Comment

That's a whole lot of deliciousness with those tomatoes!

Hope the right combo of flowers comes along so you'll have little cukes growing soon.
        Catie

Comment

Emily, I’m so pleased to announce that I took advantage of a Black Friday deal too good to pass up! I have the harvest elite slim model coming in with a salad kit ! I’m soooo excited. I did a lot of reading, and what I mostly want to grow is lettuce.... I eat a lot of salad and end up wasting a lot of store lettuce and or getting ill.... and they said the grow height on the harvest was ok for herbs and lettuce, so .... fingers crossed.
          I know you get a lot of your tips from FB, but I don’t have a FB account and will not get one... is there anywhere else you prefer to get tips such as a particular YouTube channel or blog?

I think one of my biggest fears is harming the plant when I go to harvest. ..... but I have a bit before that. It hasn’t even arrived yet! Lol one blog I read said to change the lightbulbs every six months but I didn’t order replacement bulbs, how have your light bulbs been doing?

also I’d love to know how your cucumber is doing, as I eat a cucumber daily for hydration and nutrients and low cal etc... but several blogs said cucumbers were not possible in hydroponics?
          Last edited by Overcome; Yesterday, 23:55.
          "We cannot hold a torch to another's path without brightening our own."

Comment

Oh so exciting, Overcome! Everything I've read says that the Harvest is the perfect garden for lettuce. And the slim makes it easier to harvest cuz you can get to it from front and back.

There are loads of youtube pages dedicated to both aerogarden and hydroponics, with loads of good info. If you're mostly planning to do lettuce, I think you will do fine. That seems the simplest thing to grow actually. I never saw anything that indicated that the lights needed to be changed every 6 months. I do wonder if that was from when they used grow bulbs, before the LED panels. But not sure. That said, you'll have time to sort that.

Lettuce is so easy to harvest. Really, I don't think you'll have any trouble. There are two methods. one is "haircut," which means what it sounds like. You just cut across the plants (They say never more than a third at a time). I've done this a few times. you just use shears or scissors and go right across the top, about third of the way down. lol.

THe method I usually use is outer leaves. That means I just break off or snip off with shears, the outer leaves (as much as a third of each plant), down to about an inch above the base. The lettuce is a pretty hardy plant. I don't think you'll need to worry about damaging it.

My cucumber is actually doing really well. I'm not sure if cucumber would be a good option in the Harvest because of the size (the plants like to spread). But I'm actually growing mine in a bucket (and I have an extra grow lamp), and it seems really happy. I'm still waiting for male flowers to pollinate with, but loads of female flowers, and more coming all the time. I bought the AG grow anything pods and ordered some seeds for a 'bush cucumber' so it would be more compact. I think cucumbers are a great options in hydro, actually, because they're mostly water. And loads of folks on the group I'm in grow them in hydro. Though most of them are growing varieties that havea lot longer vines than the one I chose. lol. If you want a cucumber a day though, you'd probably need multiple plants. That said, I don't have any cucumbers yet, to know how many or how often one can harvest.

I've even seen people growing watermelons, squash, and pumpkins.

Anyway, I'll help any way I can, and I'll see if I can hunt down some of the youtube pages I watched when I first bought mine.
            Last edited by Emily; Today, 03:09.
            Email me!

Comment

Hey, great news, Overcome!! I hope your new system will serve you very well.
              Catie

Comment

I grabbed some photos of my cucumber plant, Overcome, so you could see. There's one of the plant, I got one good one of a blossom. It's a 'female' blossom that you can see what looks like a small cucumber at the base, that if I had males and pollinated, it would grow. And then I got a good one of the root ball, so you can see it's pretty happy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201128_212243_resized.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	1465907Click image for larger version

Name:	20201128_212357_resized.jpg
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	1465908Click image for larger version

Name:	20201128_212335_resized.jpg
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1465909
                Email me!

Comment

Huge root ball! I usually try to grow cucumbers outside here but my plant withers it gets too hot even watering it daily but I thought maybe if I tried to start it indoors and transfer it. Yours looks so nice! I’ll do my lettuce first to get comfy. Lol I did order the grow anything kit just for kicks when I get super comfy.

there is a whole lot of debate about snipping the roots because they get all tangled... do you do that?

The woman that said about the light bulbs does live in Alaska where it’s dark most of the time half the year.
                  "We cannot hold a torch to another's path without brightening our own."

Comment

Join us on twitter to chat, meet new friends, & share resources 

@SurvivorOasis
                  Working...
                  X