Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catie
    replied
    Oh, I love the morning-dove rescue story!

And I can't begin to imagine the many joys of living so close to shore. Seeing the dolphin leaping from home is such a lovely thing!

Leave a comment:

• moonflower
    replied
    Two more cool animal stories .... early in the week as I was walking by one of the glass doors a dolphin jumped full out of the water right in my line of sight. I was really started to get stressed about everything I needed to take care of for storm prep and it made me just stop and enjoy the moment. I watched him til I couldn't see him anymore, but he only jumped the one time. Very cool, I've only seen that a handful of times.

The night the storm came through I was going out about every hour to check on how high the water was and one time there was this morning dove huddled up against the front door. He would only fly a few feet and then kind of hunker down into the grass. After a few tries, I was scared to grab him too hard, I caught him and let him spend the night in a box in my warm garage. Gave him some food and water in the morning and then later in the afternoon when the weather cleared took him outside and slowly tipped the box as soon as his little feet hit the ground he flew away. I think he probably just got knocked out of wherever he had been roosting and got exhausted trying to get back there.

Leave a comment:

• Catie
    replied
    Flippy does look like a big boy! How funny about the paper plate! It's almost like, "Done with that. More, please!"

Leave a comment:

• moonflower
    replied
    Catie, loved your polecat story, that made me smile. I didn't know they had different markings either, that's cool.

Star, I love flippy, he's so cute. He looks so fat and happy just plopped down there.

Leave a comment:

• Emily
    replied
    It looks like Flippy has adopted you. He looks right at home!

Leave a comment:

• Starship
    replied
    You know several people have skunks for pets once they remove the stinky glands.

The dolphin display sounds like it was amazing and beautiful to watch. I can close my eyes and imagine the scene. Thanks for that!

Where I am we have tons of squirrels, blue jays, possums, geckos, and I am blessed by one giant white rabbit that keeps hanging around my house. I think he was a domestic bunny that was dumped by someone, because he came within 2 feet of me the other day when I brought him food.

I call him Flippy, because each night he eats the food I put out on a paper plate for him and then he “flips” the plate and shoves it under my back porch door. LOL

He’s quite the character. Here’s a snap of him hanging out at my back fence:

Click image for larger version  Name:	DBA6EE93-36CB-4032-BF16-828B2A1F09EF.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	72.9 KB ID:	1465468
    ****photo posted with permission****
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Starship; 02-11-2020, 00:33.

Leave a comment:

• Catie
    replied
    Skunks are odd little creatures, seem very furry! I marvel that even skunks that certainly all are black and white, have different markings and features. The endless variety in nature! It's interesting how getting the scent off became a specialty for your groomer friend. Back in the day, my grandfather in Ga. called them polecats. We'd be visiting there and driving down the road, and he's pipe up with, "Sho' nuff do smell of a pole cat around heah!" The old timers in my family all had heavy Southern accents.

I can imagine how much J loved the horses and riding.

Leave a comment:

• moonflower
    replied
    Catie, that's cool I've never seen a skunk. A girl I went to school lives up north, she's a dog groomer that kind of specializes in deskunking dogs, I had no idea something like that could be in such high demand. We have rats too, I really think they are everywhere. They are one of the few critter I don't care for, I can do snakes and spiders but I really don't like rats. Armadillos are cool too, there are some parks near here where you can see them. When I worked for the county, I had one almost run into me in the dark at 530 in the morning while I was trying to open a gate, scared the living daylights out of me.

We live in the most densely populated county in our state so I'm surprised that we have as many critter as we do. I just think even the little stuff is cool. As I was sitting down 2 bright yellow butterflies went by.

Falena, there are so many amazing places I would live to see too. I used to have kind of this pipe dream of taking a year to travel around the country in a RV and homeschool and just see some of those cool things. There is an equine therapy place really close to where we used to live and they would open up to the general public once a month when he was little and we'd go hung out in the barn and feed the horses treats and they would walk the kids on horseback through their trail. Two summers ago we went trail riding and he rode his own horse for the first time and he LOVED it. I think that is going to be his birthday or Christmas present this year, I try to give him presents of things we can go do. There's days I can imagine him grown and my house actually being quiet and there are days that I can't wait for that to happen and there are days that seems like it will happen too soon.

Leave a comment:

• Falena Porter
    replied
    Originally posted by moonflower View Post
    He found this knock off movie on Netflix a while back set in a place that sounds a lot like your Monkey Mia, but in the Bahamas, he wants to go there so bad.
    I haven’t been to Monkey Mia yet. It’s on the other side of the country but one day I hope to get there. Like your son, I’d like to go to the Bahamas as well. (I can daydream.)

Being in nature like you and your son can be is simply wonderful. I work near to a beach and whenever I can, take a walk along the shore at lunch time. It’s pretty hard turning back to the office sometimes!

I love nature and I love the sea. It is wonderful that you two share this together. I’m sure in spending time at the ocean and your camping trips that you are creating a whole bank of good memories for you both to hold onto.

My kids are all grown up now but some of my best memories are of farm holidays we used to take and the trail rides we did together.

Leave a comment:

• Catie
    replied
    So many creatures in your local environment! Very interesting. I do think it would be amazing to live near the ocean.

Here? I'm in an apartment in a metro area. On my walks, there have been skunks, rats, an armadillo once. My dad's neighborhood has lizards and one day in the heat I caught one flinging itself at his front door.

I have not visited more rural areas in this state.

Leave a comment:

• moonflower
    replied
    Catie, what kind of animals live around you?

We have lots of marsh rabbits too and the dogs love barking at pelicans. We have lots and lots of lizards, they are impossible to keep out of the screened in porched and we usually have a few in the house at any given time. There is one that's been in Johnathon's room for a while now, he's named him stripes.

I took my one dog for a walk late one night last week and saw a possum too.

At various parks nearby you can see gators or deer, jut not in the neighborhood.

One of our favorite things when J was little was to go out in the mud flats at low tide and 'look for critters'.

Leave a comment:

• Catie
    replied
    It's hard for me to imagine, Moonflower. Pretty amazing.

Leave a comment:

• moonflower
    replied
    Catie, when the water is clear, like in the springs, it's cool. When the water isn't is quite unnerving at first because they are huge.

Leave a comment:

• Catie
    replied
    Amazing life there! I would probably come out of my skin if approached by a manatee!

The baby dolphin must've been quite a little character....

Leave a comment:

• moonflower
    replied
    It is super awesome when they come hang out. I was hoping you guys could picture it and get a smile out of it too. There was a baby this past spring that was super cute too. When it was learning to hunt I would see it come by in the morning with it's mom when it would find little bait fish up near the surface it would flip over on it's back so it's mouth was near the surface and chase around the baitfish with his belly up in the air. I got a good video of that one once. It was super cute too.

That Monkey Mia place sounds cool Falena, I just looked it up. Johnathon really likes the Dolphin Tail movies, I think partly because they are set locally. So, we go to see Winter and Hope (and Nicholas) whenever we can get cheap tickets. It is a pretty small rehab center, but he can spend the whole day roaming around there. He found this knock off movie on Netflix a while back set in a place that sounds a lot like your Monkey Mia, but in the Bahamas, he wants to go there so bad.

We've had manatees come up to us before when we were swimming, which can be kind of unsettling if the water is murky, but never dolphins.

Leave a comment:

Join us on twitter to chat, meet new friends, & share resources 

@SurvivorOasis
Working...
X