No announcement yet.

My garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emily I saw that you have to be the bee... did you buy the bee thing or just do you jiggle the plants a bit to pollenate?
    "We cannot hold a torch to another's path without brightening our own."

Comment

Hi Overcome. I didn't buy the bee pollinator yet. The tomatoes and jalapenos both will self pollinate with a shake or jiggle. Or you can touch the back of an electric toothbrush or something to the stem to vibrate it, or set an electric fan near by to provide a gentle breeze. That works well, too. So I decided to wait, because the reviews seemed a bit inconsistent. They seemed to say that it worked well, but maybe didn't hold up well. In any case, I'm still considering it, but haven't needed it yet. I think (though I'm not certain as I've not researched it yet), that the fairy tale eggplant may also self pollinate. Will look into it when I order the pods for those.
      Email me!
      Scars remind us of where we've been.
      They don't have to dictate where we're going.~Criminal Minds

Comment

I learned something new today, I didn't know that you could just shake tomatoes. When I did some on my porch I took most of the cotton off of a q-tip and touched all the different flowers with it.
        Moonflower

Comment

I thought I'd have to do that as well, Moonflower. But thankfully in my reading, found that you could just give them a shake.

Overcome, I joined an Aerogarden group, and someone asked about the bee pollinator, and respondents there also said that they don't last long, and best bet is a cheap battery toothbrush, or other methods mentioned.
          Email me!

Comment

Thanks Emily!
            "We cannot hold a torch to another's path without brightening our own."

Comment

No problem.
              Email me!

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_1781.jpg Views:	3 Size:	104.3 KB ID:	1464919Click image for larger version  Name:	image_1782.jpg Views:	3 Size:	99.0 KB ID:	1464920Click image for larger version  Name:	image_1783.jpg Views:	3 Size:	107.8 KB ID:	1464921Click image for larger version  Name:	image_1784.jpg Views:	3 Size:	105.2 KB ID:	1464922

So I was trying to hold off until the 8 week mark for more photos (It's day 47). But, my jalapano blossoms opened. lol.

I pruned most of them off, because all the growth was at the top, and I want the plant to be more bushy. Technically, I should have pinched off the few blossoms that were left, but couldn't bring myself to do it. lol.

My mega tomato plant has loads of tomatoes, but most of them are hidden under the canopy, which is full of blossoms. I can hardly wait until they area all tomatoes so the photos will show them better. lol. Also, the smaller golden heirloom cherry plant has a fair amount of tomatoes on it now. As you can see, the plants are looking really healthy, so I think the cal mag did the trick on my tomato problem.
                Last edited by Emily; 17-09-2020, 21:41.
                Email me!

Comment

Oh, there wasn't room for more photos in that post, but wanted to post a lettuce photo for you, Overcome. I did a big harvest 2 days ago for dinner size salads. And it could use another bit of a harvest still. We'll have a southwest salad tonight, so that should help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200917_145854_resized.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	1464924
                  Email me!

Comment

There's so much going on in that space! So many blossoms, tomatoes developing. And the salad greens continue to be fab!
                    Catie

Comment

It it's a lot, isn't it, Catie. For a not very large area, it packs in a lot.
                      Email me!

Comment

It's impressive, for sure!
                        Catie

Comment

It’s a salad jungle!!!!!!

Now, to grow the ranch dressing.... LOL
                          ♥ ♥ ♥
                          The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save.
                          Zeph 3:16

Comment

Roflmao! That grows right out of the grocery bag! I don't even have to plant it!
                            Email me!

Comment

Your garden looks amazing.
                              So many tomatoes, nom, nom, nom.
                              Is that Romaine lettuce in the picture?
                              Moonflower

Comment

Thanks, Moonflower. It is Romaine. It's just growing like crazy. I've harvested at least a couple times per week for several weeks now.
                                Email me!

Comment

Join us on twitter to chat, meet new friends, & share resources 

@SurvivorOasis
                                Working...
                                X