My garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My garden

So I started hydroponic gardening during lockdown. Tomorrow is the 4 week mark. Two of my tomato plants are now getting blossoms. My jalapeno plant is growing well.

And we've had salad a couple of times from the lettuce. This has brought me more joy than I expected.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200828_192037_resized.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.0 KB ID:	1464586Click image for larger version  Name:	20200828_192101_resized.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.3 KB ID:	1464587Click image for larger version  Name:	20200828_192050_resized.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.4 KB ID:	1464588Click image for larger version  Name:	20200828_192112_resized.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.0 KB ID:	1464589
    Email me!
    Scars remind us of where we've been.
    They don't have to dictate where we're going.~Criminal Minds

How fabulous is that?! The salad greens look spectacular! I love hearing how much of a delight this is.
    Catie

Comment

They really are great, Catie. It really has been a bit of an unexpected delight. And it's nice to now not have to worry that buying lettuce may kill us. lol.
      Email me!

Comment

wonderful.

Comment

What great photos! The last one is so clear, I can almost feel the texture of the leaves in my hands.
          Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
          and today is a gift;
          that's why they call it the present.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Wow awesome. Can I ask what system you got again?
            I think every time I’ve eaten salad recently I get ill.... and I love salad. And those greens look fabulous!
            "We cannot hold a torch to another's path without brightening our own."

Comment

Hehe Falena, if I wasn't lazy, I'd pull out my camera. But I just grabbed those on my tablet for a quick capture. But it does a pretty decent job.

Overcome, I have the Aerogarden Farm Plus. It's a larger unit, but they have systems that hold anywhere from 3 to 24 pods. It was a big investment, and I was a bit nervous about it. But my worry is gone. I think it's going to more than pay for itself. I've been so hesitant to buy lettuce for a couple of years now because it feels like every time you turn around, there's a recall on it. Also, I've been unsure about fresh produce since COVID because you don't know who has touched it or coughed on it....It's nice to not have to worry if it's safe or not. Plus it's always available and always fresh.
              Last edited by Emily; 29-08-2020, 15:32.
              Email me!

Comment

Comment

Love this.

And the pictures make me want to break out the ranch dressing and sesame seed toppings.
                  ♥ ♥ ♥
                  The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save.
                  Zeph 3:16

Comment

Thanks Cookie.

lol It's very good with ranch dressing, Star...As a matter of fact, that's what I had on mine tonight! hehe.
                    Email me!

Comment

I've actually noticed a little problem with my tomato plants. The edges of some of the leaves are turning brown, and curling. In my investigation, it appears that maybe they need more calcium and magnesum, so I'll order some supplements for the food, and hope that does the trick. I'll also order a ph testing kit, just so I can be sure that there aren't any other problems. I think I've caught it pretty early, since I've only had a couple of the blossoms open. And even if the current blossoms fall off, more will come on as the plant gets healthier. So I think it'll be ok.
                      Email me!

Comment

So I tried to grow a tomato plant this year on my porch. Never done it before, but had the guidance of a farmer friend (his name is John). Ok, so the plant never produced anything. Wasn’t a good spot for it because I think it didn’t get enough sun on my enclosed porch and the pot probably wasn’t big enough. Farmer John grows crops in his backyard and had a thousand tomatoes this summer.

Yes, it was an epic fail. But I will persevere! (I even have a “water the plants” alarm set on my iPhone for 2x a week. The song it plays is “Don’t Stop Believin’” by Journey. LOL

Anyway, the whole reason I’m posting this is to share that when I told John that my tomato leaves were going brown and curling, he said that was a natural part of the process. New bigger leaves will sprout higher up the vine.

So maybe it’s ok? (Just realize this comes from me - more of a plant hospice worker than a gardener.)
                        ♥ ♥ ♥
                        The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save.
                        Zeph 3:16

Comment

I might try one of the baby units.... I don’t like tomatoes, so no worries there! Lol
                          "We cannot hold a torch to another's path without brightening our own."

Comment

giggles....oh Star....Plant hospice worker. I love that. It's been my experience in great part as well. lol. Yeah, I think it's natural for some leaves to do that. But almost all the leaves on mine are curling a bit, and getting brown spots. And even though they've grown great, they're still not very big. With hydroponics, sometimes nutrients that may be in the soil or even in the water are lost. I use filtered water to get rid of chlorine, so I think maybe this is a sign that my water's really good...lol. But also, just a thing with hydroponics that sometimes you need supplements for them. The good news is that I've also read that the magnesium will make the tomatoes sweeter. It's why a lot of people use epsom salts (admittedly, not sure exactly how) when they're growing tomatoes.

There's a fairytale eggplant that I can get for my garden. That's the next thing I'll get when it's time to plant again and I have space for it. They're so cute! Well, that and I love eggplant. lol

I bet your next attempt with tomatoes will be a success!

Hehe. That makes it easier, Overcome! I'm going to add a little of the supplement to my lettuce as well, as they say it makes it stronger, and grow faster (hard to imagine that part). But it still seems pretty happy without it. I have noticed a little edge browning at the tops of the leaves, that I've seen may be helped by the supplement. But really other than the supplements, the system makes everything pretty easy. The control panel tells me when to water, when to feed, etc. And there's an app to go with mine, where you can set it to send you a message for all that. I didn't install it because I've read that it's buggy, and people who depended on it too much had problems with it not being consistent. But I've seen more complaints with the app than with any of the systems....So I just decided not to bother with it.

If you do try it, I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.
                            Email me!

Comment

It sounds like a phenomenal system! It's been interesting to hear how it all works.
                              Catie

Comment

Join us on twitter to chat, meet new friends, & share resources 

@SurvivorOasis
                              Working...
                              X