Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can see how those flavors would work Sammi..and sometimes, improvising ends in the best stuff! thanks for sharing it.

Thanks HG...It's always fun to get new ideas.
    Email me!
    My Profile
    | Rules | Access | Staff
    Scars remind us of where we've been.
    They don't have to dictate where we're going.~Criminal Minds

Comment

I highly recommend emilys, lemon basil chicken. .
      Email me!

Every tear
      On every face
      Tastes the same

Comment

Beer in the Rear chicken.

Season your chicken however you like. I do it several ways, either simply, with salt, pepper, butter...or use a rub, etc.

Take a can of beer and pour out (or drink) half. I like to add sliced garlic and rosemary sprigs into the beer. I've also made it with the same flavorings used in the lemon basil chicken. You can use whatever kind of flavors you like.

Set the can of beer into a baking pan, and put the chicken over the can so the chicken is standing up on it. Put half a lemon or a potato into the top of the chicken to help hold into the steam, and roast in the oven the way you would if you were making other roast chicken. I roast on 375 til done.

This can also be put on the grill.
        Email me!
        My Profile
        | Rules | Access | Staff

Comment

cool stuff

Comment

Wow,thanks everyone,I always enjoy trying new things.They all sound so good.

Comment

Emily, the "beer in the rear chicken" can also be done for soda pop, like coke or pepsi.

Yes, for the ingredients in the lasagna, I was amazed that how it multiplied in the slow cooker! lol My slow cooker is also oval which makes it easier to layer the noodles. I still have to break up some pieces to fill in the holes, but works well. I've made before for several different people and it always gets raves. I will admit I often use more cheese because I like it that way. hehe

My lover spoke and said to me,
              "Arise, my darling, my beautiful one, and come with me."
              - Song of Solomon 2:10 -

Comment

got to have lots of cheese in lasagna.

yeah I've seen taht you can use coke or whatever in the chicken. I've also read that a lemon lime soda is good....I've never done that cuz I don't think I"d really enjoy the sweetness they may add. But I do like how moist and tender the chicken is when it's done

---------- Post added at 22:55 ---------- Previous post was at 22:53 ----------

You know..I was thinking though. I think you can get carbonated lime water in cans. And I bet if you paired that with some chipotle, or some sorta southwest flavoring, that would be nice.
                Email me!
                My Profile
                | Rules | Access | Staff

Comment

Spicy Beef Curry Stew

1 tablespoon olive oil
                  1 pound stew beef meat (I have also used chicken, and it was just as good)
                  salt and pepper to taste
                  2 cloves garlic, minced
                  1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
                  1 fresh jalapeno pepper, diced
                  1 tablespoon curry powder
                  1 can (14-15 oz) diced tomato with juice
                  1 onion, sliced and quartered
                  1 cup beef broth (I've also used water and it was fine)

Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, and brown the beef on all sides. Remove from skillet, reserving juices, and season with salt and pepper. Cook and stir the garlic, ginger, and jalapeno in the skillet for 2 minutes, until tender, and season with curry powder. Mix in the diced tomatoes and juice.

Place the onion in the bottom of a slow cooker, and layer with the browned beef. Scoop the skillet mixture into the slow cooker, and mix in the beef broth.

Cover, and cook 6 to 8 hours on Low.

Serve alone or over rice or noddles.

** When I make it with chicken, I use 2-3 frozen/fresh boneless chicken breasts or thighs. I skip the browning the skillet and just add everything into the slow cooker. Towards the end of the cooking, I shred the chicken.

Comment

That looks nice.
                    Email me!
                    My Profile
                    | Rules | Access | Staff

Comment

sundrop pork chops...

you will need a pack of 8 porkchops and a 2 ltr bottle of sundrop soda..
                      preheat the oven to like 375 and in a glass baking dish arrange the porkchops.. poor half of the sundrop soda on them cover and bake for 45 min..serve with any veggies you desier... i added shredded cheese to them when i cook this one so about 15 min befor the chops are done i pull the aluminum foil off and let the cheese get crisp... oh its also good with potato salad...

Comment

Yum

I saw this recipe on The Chew and tried it and it's really yummy. One of my favorites.

Red Lentil and Sweet Potato Stew

Ingredients:
                        --Olive Oil
                        --1 Red Onion (finely chopped)
                        --Salt and Pepper to taste
                        --7 Carrots (thinly sliced coins)
                        --2 Celery Ribs (finely chopped)
                        --3 Garlic cloves (finely minced)
                        --2 cups Red Lentils (rinsed)
                        --2 teaspooons Cumin Seeds (toasted and ground)
                        --1 teaspoon Coriander (toasted and ground)
                        --1 teaspoon Chipotle Chili Flakes or to taste (can use ground, but use less)
                        --1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
                        --6 cups Water
                        --1 Sweet Potato (peeled and finely diced; about 1 cup)
                        --1 bunch Black Kale (finely shredded)

Directions:
                        --In a heavy bottomed pot over medium to medium-high heat, add about 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Once the oil is shimmering and hot, add the onion. Season with salt and saute for 4 to 5 minutes, or until soft.

--Add the carrots and celery and cook for 3 more minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 1 more minute. Add in the rinsed lentils and cook for about 2 minutes, toasting in the oil. Add the cumin seeds, coriander, chipotle chili flakes, and turmeric, and continue to toast for another minute, or until fragrant. Add the water and a big pinch of salt and pepper. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce to a very low heat and gently simmer for about 10 minutes.

--Then, carefully stir in the sweet potato and kale. Cook for another 10-15 minutes, or until the lentils are cooked through but not mushy. If it seems to thick, it's ok to add a little more water til it's the consistency you like.

--Once cooked, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil if desired.
                        Last edited by Emily; 04-01-2014, 21:07.
                        Email me!
                        My Profile
                        | Rules | Access | Staff

Comment

Tonight, I made spinach and butternut squash lasagna. Was yum.
                          Email me!
                          My Profile
                          | Rules | Access | Staff

Comment

Yum! I hadn't thought of butternut squash in a lasagna.

I went to make turkey noodle soup Saturday in my slow cooker. I don't know what I was thinking when I added the noodles at the very beginning of cooking. Noodles turned to thick mush. It was gross-looking and tasted horrible. (Lesson learned: do not cook much when you're sick.) Oh well.

----

Split Pea Soup

1 bag of dried split peas
                            1 medium onion
                            1-2 cups of carrot
                            Cubed ham (I usually buy a package of already cut up ham that is I think about 16 oz)
                            1-2 bay leaves
                            Water
                            Salt and pepper to taste

Chop up onion and carrot. In slow cooker, add onion, carrot, ham, split peas, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Add water until peas are covered.

Cook on low for 4-6 hours, until peas are fully cooked and break up.

Comment

It was nice. When I've had a chance to write out teh recipe I'll post it. I just made it up as I went along, and havent written it down yet..lol.

Oh yeah, pasta doesnt cook well in teh slow cooker at all. I've found it's best to just boil it separately and add it at or near the end, because it does get a weird texture (even if not completely mushy) in the slow cooker.

The pea soup sounds yummy
                              Email me!
                              My Profile
                              | Rules | Access | Staff

Comment

This was a pretty thrown together recipe so not a lot of exact measurements..lol.

Spinach and Butternut Squash Lasagna

--1 container of fresh baby spinach (roughly chopped--regular spinach would work ok too)--I used the large clamshell package. If using a bag, I'd use 2 I think, unless it was a huge bag. I think it would also be fine to use 2 boxes of frozen chopped spinach, if you had let it thaw and squeezed out the excess moisture.
                                --1 butternut squash (I used 2 packages of diced frozen, and that was fine)
                                --1 big jar of your favorite sauce. I used a simple Tomato Basil sauce.
                                --2 cloves minced garlic (or to taste)
                                --1 container ricotta cheese
                                --2-3 cups shredded italian cheese (I use a blend, just mozzarella would be ok too)
                                --1 package oven ready lasagna noodles (I used Barilla. You could use regular noodles, and just cook them per directions)
                                --Olive oil

--This is a bit of a rough description since, as I said, I made it up as I went along, so I'll add variations I think would work just as well.

--In a pan, I sauteed the spinach in a little olive oil and one clove of the minced garlic, seasoned with salt and pepper to taste. I also added about 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg. I almost always do that with spinach dishes. (My garlic cloves were big. So it was probably about the size of 2 normal cloves). Set aside.

--In another pan, I sauteed the diced butternut squash, also in a little olive oil with a clove of minced garlic, and added salt and pepper, again to taste. I just sauteed it from frozen until it started to get tender. I think it would also be great to peel and slice a fresh butternut squash, and drizzle it with olive oil that's got some pressed garlic in it, salt and pepper, and roast the squash til it just starts to become tender. I was just being a bit lazy, so I used frozen diced, and it worked just fine.

--Into the sauteed spinach, I added the container of ricotta and a cup of shredded italian cheese. (The blend I used had Mozzarella, Provolone, Parmesan and Fontina, plus Romano and aged Asiago) I also added a little dried basil, though if I had fresh on hand, I would have used that instead.

--I put just a little sauce in the bottom of the baking dish. And then placed 3 of the noodles. I was using a 9x13 pan, and the pasta I was using meant that 3 covered teh bottom perfectly, so just use whatever works for you pasta and your pan. I then added half of the butternut squash, covered that with about a cup of the pasta sauce (I just eyeballed it, and didn't want to cover up the squash flavor so was just a thin coating of sauce), and sprinkled with cheese.

--Another layer of pasta. Then I spread half the spinach/ricotta mixture

--Repeat with pasta/butternut squash/sauce, and then pasta and the remaining spinach mixture.--

--I added the last layer of pasta, and then a thin layer of sauce over the top, and topped with more shredded cheese.

--Cover with foil

--Baked at 350f for about 40 minutes

--Removed foil, and baked for 5 more minutes til the top starts to get golden.
                                Last edited by Emily; 06-01-2014, 23:10.
                                Email me!
                                My Profile
                                | Rules | Access | Staff

Comment

Join us on twitter to chat, meet new friends, & share resources 

@SurvivorOasis
                                Working...
                                X