This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's for dinner?! (recipes)

I thought I'd start a new thread for people to add recipes if they wanted, and gain ideas.

---------- Post added at 01:38 ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 ----------

Easy Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup

--1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts (I've also used frozen ones...no need to thaw first--you can also use thighs or a mixture)
    --1 can (15 ounce) whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
    --1 can (10 ounce) enchilada sauce (I use hot La Victoria sauce because I find a lot of them--like old el paso--are just sweet and I dont like that.. Just know if you use mild, the rest of the ingredients swallows it up and it doesnt add much flavor. There's so much other stuff the hot adds a bite without being too hot. You could use medium or whatever you like.
    --1 medium onion, chopped (can use onion powder)
    --1 can (4 ounce) diced green chiles
    --2 cloves minced garlic (can use garlic powder)
    --2 cups water
    --1 can (14.5 ounce) chicken broth (low sodium)
    --1 teaspoon cumin
    --1 teaspoon chili powder
    --1 teaspoon salt (I use half)
    --1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    --1 bay leaf
    1 package (10 ounce) frozen corn --I've been having trouble finding 10 oz packages of frozen corn. If you have a bit more or a bit less, it is still fine..doesnt need to be exact. I've been using 12 oz bags.

I also like to add a can of drained and rinsed black or red beans. It's good with or without.

1. Place ingredients into slow cooker.

2. Cook on low setting for 6 to 8 hours.

3. Take out chicken and fork shred (it'll pull apart easily from being so tender) it about half an hour before serving, then return to pot.

Dont forget to take out the bay leaf and toss it. Or you can leave it in and whoever gets lucky enough to have it in their bowl can do dishes.

To serve, sprinkle with shredded cheddar and baked tortilla strips, or broken tortilla chips, and a dollup of sour cream if desired. You could also throw on some diced avocado.

**If you dont have a slow cooker, this is really easy to make on the stovetop as well. Just bring it to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer it until the chicken shreds easily with a fork.
    Last edited by Emily; 03-01-2014, 23:07.
    Email me!
    My Profile
    | Rules | Access | Staff
    Scars remind us of where we've been.
    They don't have to dictate where we're going.~Criminal Minds

Neat idea, and this sounds really yummy. Thanks, Emily!

Comment

cool stuff!!!!!!!

ok.. um here is one..

Beef throw together...

1 pack stewed beef tips
      1 tbs meat tenderizer(sprinkle on meat while browning)
      2 packets taco seasoning
      8 yellow squash
      egg noodles (1 Lb)
      enough water to cook both pasta and squash
      1 12oz container sour cream
      1 brick velveta cheese..

brown the meat with one packet of the taco seasoning. cut up the squash.. add the water and egg noodles when the noodles are half way done (use timeing on package) add the squash.. once the squash is done drain and add the sour cream and te cheese and the second taco seasoning packet... once cheese is melted serve...

Comment

oh yay!
        dont leave me all alone frodo...dont go where i cant follow
        my little gentleman

Comment

It all sounds yummy. I'm going to make at least one of these next week. We have many left overs to eat. I made beans on New Year Day. Double pot means double left overs.
          "We must go everywhere. We must tell people that no pit is so deep that HE is not deeper still. They will believe us because we were here."
          The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom

But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, Isaiah 40:31

Comment

Thanks Strong and Brave. It's really nice, and way easy. I love it on cold winter days..and we make it often in winter, usually have it at least weekly.

Nice Sammi...creative. Sounds nice and yummy and cheesy and very comfort food like.
            Email me!
            My Profile
            | Rules | Access | Staff

Comment

Neat thread! Mmmm to the soup! And Sammi, I love yellow squash!
              Catie

Comment

I usually make these in summer. They go really perfectly with grilled steaks:

Country-Style Tomatoes

Ingredients:

4 large tomatoes
                1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
                1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
                1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
                1 garlic clove, minced
                1/4 teaspoon salt
                1/4 cup all-purpose flour
                1 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
                1 egg
                1 tablespoon milk
                3 tablespoons butter
                3 tablespoons Light Olive Oil or Canola Oil

Directions:

Cut each tomato into four thick slices; place on paper towels to drain.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, parsley, basil, garlic and salt until blended. Spread cream cheese mixture over eight tomato slices; top with remaining tomato slices.

Place flour and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. In another bowl, whisk egg and milk. Coat the top and bottom of each sandwich with flour, dip into egg mixture, then coat with crumbs.

In a large skillet, heat butter and oil over medium-hot heat. Fry tomato sandwiches in batches for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.

Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately.
                Last edited by Emily; 04-01-2014, 00:14.
                Email me!
                My Profile
                | Rules | Access | Staff

Comment

I have several recipes, but I'll start with these two. It's easy to modify according to your taste.

-----

Slow Cooker Meat Lasagna

1 package of lasagna noodles

1 pound of ground beef (I sometimes will also use 1 pound of Italian sausage)

2 jar (24 oz) of spaghetti sauce

2 cups of Mozzarella cheese

1 container (15 oz) of Ricotta Cheese

1/4 c of Parmesan Cheese

Spices of your choice to add flavor to spaghetti sauce: I use garlic, basil, salt, and pepper usually.

Brown the meat. Add both jars of spaghetti sauce.

In the slow cooker, put a very small amount of the sauce on the bottom and spread around. (This helps the noodles not to stick to the bottom). Then layer as follows: noodles, meat sauce, ricotta cheese, Mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese. Repeat until you reach close the top of the slow cooker. At the top, finish with Mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.

Cook 4-6 hours on low. (Until the noodles are tender.)

-------

Slow Cooker Vegetarian Lasagna

Package of Lasagna noodles

Package of frozen spinach (A larger one)

1-2 cups of raw carrot (cut in pieces)

1 can of mushrooms (I personally don't use because I don't like them)

2 jars of Alfredo sauce

2 cups of Mozzarella cheese

1/4 c of Parmesan Cheese

Garlic, basil, salt, and pepper to taste

Mix together (on the stove) spinach, carrot, mushrooms, and sauce until the spinach is thawed some. (This doesn't take long but it helps to remove some of the liquid from the frozen spinach.)

Place small amount of the veggie mixture on the bottom of the slow cooker and spread around. Layer as follows: noodles, veggie mix, Mozzarella cheese and Parmesan Cheese. Repeat until close to the top. End with some Mozzarella cheese and Parmesan Cheese.

Cook for 4-6 hours. (Until noodles are tender).

I use a 8-qt slow cooker and it is layered all the way to the top.

My lover spoke and said to me,
                  "Arise, my darling, my beautiful one, and come with me."
                  - Song of Solomon 2:10 -

Comment

Thats cool shae, I never thought of doing that in the slow cooker.
                    Email me!

Rule Your Own World!

Comment

Thanks Shae. Yeah. I never thought of doing the lasagna in slow cooker either. Great idea! Oh..8 qt is a massive slow cooker...thats a lot of lasagna! lol...but looks nice.

Lemon Basil Chicken

1 medium lemon
                      2 garlic cloves, sliced
                      1 garlic clove minced
                      1/4 cups minced fresh basil, divided
                      1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
                      1 tablespoon olive oil
                      1/2 teaspoon salt
                      1/4 teaspoon pepper
                      1. Finely grate peel from lemon to measure 2 teaspoons. Mix with olive oil and minced garlic clove and set aside.
                      2. Cut lemon in half. Squeeze juice from one half. Set aside other half.
                      3. Cut set aside half of lemon into three or four pieces. Place lemon pieces, sliced garlic, and 2 tablespoons basil into cavity of chicken.
                      4. Place chicken in roasting pan.
                      5. Rub lemon juice over outside of chicken.
                      6. Brush olive oil/lemon rind/garlic mixture over chicken
                      7. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
                      8. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons chopped basil on top.
                      9. Bake uncovered at 375 degrees (approx 190c) for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours until meat thermometer reads 165
                      10. Let stand 15-30 minutes before carving.

*note*
                      This can also be done in a roasting bag.
                      The recipe originally called for 2 tablespoons of melted butter in place of the olive oil, but I've found that the olive oil works just fine and is loads healthier, because it is automatically a healthier fat, and I use half. I've also made it with the butter, and of course that's wonderful...it's butter! lol

I put quartered potatoes (tossed in a little olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice and sprinkled with salt and pepper) around the roasting rack and let them roast in the drippings.
                      Last edited by Emily; 04-01-2014, 01:31.
                      Email me!
                      My Profile
                      | Rules | Access | Staff

Comment

this thread is making me hungry....

ok here is another throw together type dish...

turnip greens (washed and cut, or canned)
                        baked beans (a 12 oz can is best and name brand has more flavor)
                        chopped tomatoes
                        a small onion chopped
                        bacon
                        bbq sauce (kraft original a 12 oz bottel)
                        and chicken (i usually get the kind thats prefrozen in pieces this bit takes 2 of those)
                        oh and lots of water.. this is more like a soup...
                        cook the bacon first and keep the grease in the pot your using.. take the bacon and set it asside then cut the chicken into chuncks and cook it... add the onion when the chicken is almost done then add water and the turnips, if you get the kind in a can you dont need to add much more water... crumble the bacon in, then add the backed beans and bbq sauce... if its not real soupy add more water.. and if you want more veggies you can use a can of vegall... just heat through and serve...
                        oh the tomatoes get put in after the turnips..
                        Last edited by Sammi; 04-01-2014, 01:29. Reason: forgot about the tomatoes

Comment

So is this sort of like a stew or soup Sammi? I never would have thought to put those things together, but I do love bacon and bbq sauce too (I figure you can't go wrong with bacon). And I like trying new things.
                          Last edited by Emily; 04-01-2014, 01:25.
                          Email me!
                          My Profile
                          | Rules | Access | Staff

Comment

yes its a kind of soup... it was all my bro and i had at the time so i improvised.. it tastes good...

Comment

This thread is a great idea, Emily.
                              "My flesh and my heart, they may fail,
                              But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever and ever. Amen."
                              Psalm 73"

Comment

Join us on twitter to chat, meet new friends, & share resources 

@SurvivorOasis
                              Working...
                              X