What's for Dinner? (recipes) (3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's for Dinner? (recipes) (3)

The other thread was getting a bit long, so starting with a new one. With social distancing in full effect now, tonight I made a treat that is pretty much made with pantry items. (Ok, items that I pretty much always have in my pantry, anyway).

Churro Bars is a bit like a blondie, made with browned butter, and it has cinnamon on top and bottom. If you want healthy, this is not the recipe for you. It's loaded with butter and brown sugar. But if you like buttery cinnamony goodness, I think you'll enjoy them.

Churro Bars

Ingredients:
    • 1 cup unsalted butter
    • 2 cups light brown sugar
    • 2 eggs
    • 2 teaspoons vanilla
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
    • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spoon and sweep method)
    • 1/4 cup extra fine granulated sugar (If you don't have extra fine, you can whir regular through a food processor or blender for about 10 seconds.)
    • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    Directions:

1. In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat melt butter and bring to a boil. Stir butter, or swirl pan continuously until it reaches an amber color. Remove from heat and allow butter to cool for 20 minutes.

2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x13-inch baking dish with foil and coat with non-stick spray. Set aside.

3. In a large bowl combine butter and brown sugar and stir to combine. Add eggs, vanilla, baking powder, and salt and stir until smooth. Finally add in flour and mix until just incorporated. Set aside.

4. In a small bowl, whisk granulated sugar and ground cinnamon together.

5. Sprinkle half of cinnamon sugar evenly into bottom of prepared pan.

6. Press dough on top of cinnamon sugar.

7. Sprinkle remaining cinnamon sugar on top and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until edges are lightly golden

8. Place pan on wire rack to cook completely.

9. Use foil to remove bars from pan. Cut into squares.

10. Store in airtight container for up to 3 days.

Note: These bake a bit like brownies. They may seem still too soft when you take them out of the oven. But don't leave them in too long, or they'll get really hard and be like a brick (speaking from experience). I'd say don't go over 30 minutes, even if you don't think they're done. As long as your oven temp is right, they'll be fine. I bake them closer to 26 or 27 minutes.

Serving suggestion: These are great either as a base to a scoop of ice cream, or even crumbled over a scoop. A drizzle of caramel might be guilding the lily. But I'd still give it a go if I had caramel topping! lol

I haven't tried this, but I kind of think you might be able to make cookies with this dough because it's a bit stiff. Like roll it into balls, roll in the cinnamon sugar, then put on a pan and maybe press with a fork. I might try that sometime.
    Last edited by Emily; 19-03-2020, 05:15.
    Email me!
    Scars remind us of where we've been.
    They don't have to dictate where we're going.~Criminal Minds

......mmmm!

Comment

Thanks for sharing what sounds like a neat recipe, Emily. I adore blondies or butterscotch brownies. I'm supposed to be getting my cholesterol down and I'd be the only one eating a pan of them, though! I don't care for cinnamon, but I'll bet they'd be luscious even without it or with a dash or two of nutmeg.
      Catie

Comment

Yep, I think they'd be lovely with a little nutmeg, or even without, because they have vanilla and brown sugar, and of course the browned butter, and so the base flavor is nice. I've done a half batch before, and that works great. Like I said, I think they could be made into cookies as well. I've considered even rolling the dough into a roll and slicing it, putting the slices on a pan, and freezing, and then put in a ziploc bag. That way you could bake only a few at a time. But I haven't actually tried that method yet.
        Email me!

Comment

Oh my word, that sounds delightful! :cookie:

Ok, I'm putting out a request for a healthy recipe that tastes as naughty as the last recipe you posted, Emily. I got a call from my doctor's office today and they said my triglycerides are worse than before. I'm supposed to really change my diet, b/c I'm already taking the max meds they can give for blood lipids.

Oh, and diabetes is out of control as well. :/ Sooooo, I need some recipe magic!!!!

Got anything up your sleeve?
          ♥ ♥ ♥
          The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save.
          Zeph 3:16

Comment

Oh dear. I'm sorry Star. We do want you to take care of you and be healthy, so yeah...this recipe won't work for your needs. :( Let me see what I've got.
            Last edited by Emily; 20-03-2020, 05:44.
            Email me!

Comment

Great ideas with that recipe, Emily!

Star, I'll keep my eyes open. I don't know of one off the top of my head....
              Catie

Comment

Now, those sound amazing Emily. You have some wonderful recipes.:bloom:
                FaithtoFreedom

I would have lost heart unless I had believed I would see the goodness of God in the land of the living. Wait on the Lord, Be of good courage and He will strenthen your heart, Wait I say on the Lord!
                Psalm 27:13-14

Comment

i need an idea for ground beef, lol. h cannot have fiber in his diet just yet. i am making him a hamburger for dinner (his request) and was going to make meatloaf with the rest of the package, but i realized he can't have the onion, peppers, tomatoes. it would have to be like hamburger and spices only. i couldn't get any mac and cheese at the store or i would make hamburger mac. it's not his favorite or i would just do homemade with noodles. spaghetti is out because of the tomatoes..also too spicey for the inflammation from the radiation. any ideas?

Comment

If he's allowed sour cream, you could make it like a ground beef stroganoff. If there were no noodles, I would put it on toast.
                    Catie

Comment

good idea! thanks, catie.

Comment

Comfort food: minced meat-leek-soft cheese- soup

1/2 lb minced meat
                        1 medium onion
                        1 leek
                        2-3 medium potatoes (diced)
                        1-2 carrots (diced)
                        100g soft cheese (like Happy Cow)
                        1/2 cup milk

Fry onion and minced meat till brown, add leek, fill up with water (I usually do a bit less water and add 1/2 cup milk), add potatoes and carrots, melt soft cheese into the soup. Boil 20min.. ready. I season with salt, pepper, chili and whatever I like. It makes about 2-3 portions.

nane
                        Raise your words not your voice, it's rain that grows flowers not thunder. ~Rumi

Comment

That sounds really tasty, Nane! Any guesses on how much water, since the amount isn't mentioned?
                          Catie

Comment

I love leeks. Mmmmm
                            "We cannot hold a torch to another's path without brightening our own."

Comment

Catie, I think I added about half liter boiling water.
                              nane
                              Raise your words not your voice, it's rain that grows flowers not thunder. ~Rumi

Comment

Join us on twitter to chat, meet new friends, & share resources 

@SurvivorOasis
                              Working...
                              X