X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starship
    started a topic Hobbies and Entertainment

Hobbies and Entertainment

One of the things I have been realizing for several months now is that I need to bring balance back into my life. (I'm very much a work-a-holic...with work, school, care-taking, and ministry.) So I am trying to fill my life with more balance by enjoying hobbies and entertainment.

This thread is for EVERYONE! Please join in and share your favorite hobbies, entertainment (movies, tv shows, books, video subjects, etc), and anything else that brightens your day and makes you stop to "smell the roses."

You can even share just something you did that made you happy or feel reflective today.

So....this week I went to see a movie. I haven't gone to the movies for a LONG time. I saw Avengers: End Game. And...boy, was it LONG! Over 3 hours!!

I also found an old sketch book when I was cleaning. It had some cute sketches in it that I did of some friends at a cafe. I really want to get back into sketching portraits for fun.

And, tonight, I cooked! (Big deal for me.) I made chicken curry in a crock pot. It was awesome! I served it with green beans and cauliflower rice. Sprinkled with green onions.

What have you all done? Or what is on your to-do list for fun or relaxation??

• FreedomSong777
    replied
    Love the beach but not the sharks. Sounds like your cat is on the mission!

Leave a comment:

• Overcome
    replied
    Lol about the blood monitor.... oh kitties!!
    I also avoid pools for fear of students lol

i love SYTyCD!!!

Leave a comment:

• Starship
    replied
    Sounds like a fun weekend, Emily I imagine the weiner dog races would be super cute if they wore those little superhero outfits. LOL

Yes, Gatlinburg is a beautiful area, for sure.

Brina, I have been to Dollywood! It was years ago, though. There's one part of it that is dedicated to her childhood history. (I seem to remember something like a replica of the house she grew up in...it was tiny.) We also went to the Grand Ole Opry. The funny thing was that I didn't care for country music at the time (I was in high school) but I did enjoy the live music and atmosphere a lot.

Actually, I can't believe when I think back on my high school days, I HATED country music, bananas, mexican food, cheese and milk! Unbelievable! Now I adore mexican food (Tex-Mex), can't do without cheese , certainly enjoy bananas (when they are first ripe...after they get spots they are too old for me), and my favorite music group is Point of Grace (country flair). Milk, however, remains undrinkable! It's ok when it's in something, but I can't drink it by itself without gagging.

Good pastime, Nane! I don't even own a bike. In fact, I wonder if I could even ride one again. The only bike I've ridden in the last 32 years has been a stationary one at Planet Fitness. LOL. Glad you are getting access to a pool as well, Brina. I love swimming, too, but don't get much opportunity to go to the community center. I don't want to go to the neighborhood pool. The last thing I need is for a student to see me in my bathing suit!

So tonight I enjoyed watching So You Think You Can Dance on my DVR. Those dancers are amazing! Love that show.

And another funny little thing, I have a monitor in my arm that checks my blood sugar. It stays in my arm for 14 days at a time. (It's awesome b/c I don't have to prick my fingers to test anymore. Just swipe w/ my iPhone.) Anyway, my cat decided it was strange and that it should not be on my arm. It needed to be killed. LOL. So she has been carefully swatting at it. Not sure if she is saving my life or thinks I'm a toy. LOL

Leave a comment:

• Nane
    replied
    it makes summer so much nicer when you can go for a swim just like that. Here they even give you half of the fee back when you stay less than 2h... which is perfect for a quick swim.
    Hopefully, Brina, by next summer you'll be able to 'just' go and enjoy.

Leave a comment:

• Brina
    replied
    reminds me Nane.. my town is building a new aquatic centre, i think next year it will be finished and opened, im so excited, cause its a real pain to get to the pool in the next town, its an annoyingly long drive just for a swim.

Leave a comment:

• Nane
    replied
    My current favorite past time is going swimming... biking there- swimming- biking home. Most awesome in the evening.

Leave a comment:

• Emily
    replied
    Road trip!

Leave a comment:

• Brina
    replied
    i wanna go to dollywood.

Leave a comment:

• Emily
    replied
    I didn't actually find anything. It was really stormy yesterday morning, so when I went in the afternoon, a lot of folks had not opened up their tents. But I went back this afternoon and it everything was opened and it was packed. The weather was perfect today. It's only a couple blocks from my house, so I just am able to walk up. As a matter of fact a lot of people who come park by my house and even farther down. So I'm lucky I don't have to deal with parking! lol. I saw a few things that I liked, but nothing that really fit with what I was looking for. But still fun to look.

Today they had extra things like a car show, a weiner dog race, and a petting zoo as well, so lots of folks with kids come out.

I love Gatlinburg area Star. Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, that area is just beautiful really. It's been years since I've been there though.

Leave a comment:

• Starship
    replied
    Overcome has arrived to the 21st century!!! So glad you could make it! ***pulls up tv recliner and offers Overcome some tea ***

One of my favorite Judge Judy sayings is: “Something doesn’t make sense, and if it doesn’t make sense that means it isn’t true!”

Leave a comment:

• Overcome
    replied
    I know judge judy!! Lol im not completely out of it. Haha.

Leave a comment:

• Starship
    replied
    Emily, ooh...an art walk! Did you find anything? Hope it wasn't too hot out there! I remember visiting Gatlinburg TN when I was in high school. I just loved being in the mountains and walking around all these cute stores filled with local artists' work. I left with a little block of wood and a whittling knife, thinking I would make something cool. I have no idea if I ever carved anything decent...simply don't remember, except that I loved the feel of the town. Seemed like stress just melted away as I saw people enjoying what they were doing.

Brina, lol...more like a "can't can't" dancer!
    I love drawing faces...especially just "parts" of faces. I'm famous for incomplete drawings! LOL I just get to a certain point and then it's like, whelp...that's all I needed to capture today. Ha! You should try it out and maybe that will help you not focus so much on feeling like you have to achieve the concept of a whole face...just practice snippets of what's visually interesting and you may find it won't be so "busy."

So this really isn't "entertainment," but today I went to lunch w/ a coworker and then got a hair cut and dye. I love my sweet hairdresser. She gives the most amazing head massages when she washes out the dye. Then later I enjoyed some coffee while watching some episodes of Judge Judy that I had recorded. (I love how she sees straight through all the lies people weave to try and wiggle out of responsibility!)

Leave a comment:

• Emily
    replied
    This thread is a hoot, so far!

Since it mentions entertainment as well, I'll just say that my neighborhood has an art and local business fair every year, and it's this weekend. It's been so stinkin' hot, I wasn't sure I'd end up going. But tomorrow is supposed to be much more tolerable. The heat warning is ending for us tonight. . So I'll go tomorrow. It's always fun just to walk around and see some of the really amazing work that the artists do that show here, and who knows, maybe I'll find a few pieces for my downstairs. I've pretty much finished the work, but looking for some fun décor pieces.

Leave a comment:

• Brina
    replied
    *draw me like one of your french girls*

*OMG NOOOOOO, not like a can can dancer!!*

you know whats also tricky for me about faces, is the lights and darks and negative spaces, i get it all too busy.

Leave a comment:

Join us on twitter to chat, meet new friends, & share resources 

@SurvivorOasis
Working...
X