Hobbies and Entertainment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hobbies and Entertainment

One of the things I have been realizing for several months now is that I need to bring balance back into my life. (I'm very much a work-a-holic...with work, school, care-taking, and ministry.) So I am trying to fill my life with more balance by enjoying hobbies and entertainment.

This thread is for EVERYONE! Please join in and share your favorite hobbies, entertainment (movies, tv shows, books, video subjects, etc), and anything else that brightens your day and makes you stop to "smell the roses."

You can even share just something you did that made you happy or feel reflective today.

So....this week I went to see a movie. I haven't gone to the movies for a LONG time. I saw Avengers: End Game. And...boy, was it LONG! Over 3 hours!!

I also found an old sketch book when I was cleaning. It had some cute sketches in it that I did of some friends at a cafe. I really want to get back into sketching portraits for fun.

And, tonight, I cooked! (Big deal for me.) I made chicken curry in a crock pot. It was awesome! I served it with green beans and cauliflower rice. Sprinkled with green onions.

What have you all done? Or what is on your to-do list for fun or relaxation??

♥ ♥ ♥
    The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save.
    Zeph 3:16

the curry sounds great. Yum.
    i used to sketch/paint but the desire is just not there. i write a little here and there, not so much lately. i used to make jewelry, i still would like to, but i can't hold on to the beads...seems my fingerprints are worn off, lol. is swimming a hobby? it is my current thing, i suppose.

Comment

I really love cooking Star. It's one of my favorite things. If I had someone to clean up after me when I cooked, it would be the perfect hobby. lol. Tonight I made what I've named a Souvlaki Pasta Salad. I love cold salads in summer for dinner. So it's got all the flavors in souvlaki, but in pasta salad. That curry sounds yummy. I have a curry recipe that I make in slow cooker too that's a favorite, and great dump and go.

I like to read, though haven't read as much lately as I used to. I like suspense novels, and mysteries. I haven't been to the movies in years either. Pretty sure the last movie I saw in the theater was Julie and Julia. Before that, gosh...it might have been Titanic....lol. I like movies, but I don't like going to the movie theater. I like watching them in the comfort of home. lol.

Email me!
      My Profile
      | Rules | Access | Staff
      Scars remind us of where we've been.
      They don't have to dictate where we're going.~Criminal Minds

Comment

now i have my house back to myself, ive been playing the guitar and composing again and will be getting a new amp soon for some louder stuff... HA. ive also been learning how to play the ukulele and its really easy once you know the chord positions.

thats about it, cause im just enjoying the freedom of not having anyone else here in my house.
        Email me!

Rule Your Own World!

Comment

You're so talented! Between your music and your art..
          Email me!
          My Profile
          | Rules | Access | Staff

Comment

Avengers End Game: it was a good movie!
            Ukulele is awesome...

cooking, knitting socks and gloves, reading, doodling, watching TV shows, my newest: discovering exercises... and working (hahahahah)
            nane
            Raise your words not your voice, it's rain that grows flowers not thunder. ~Rumi

Comment

Im such a nerd I dont even know who the avengers are...lol
              i read for fun.... i play mindless apps.... i love board and card games, and sometimes even play "by myself" ...puzzles...walking...
              "We cannot hold a torch to another's path without brightening our own."

Comment

I watched a great movie today. Really good, funny & uplifting, no sex or violence, & well acted. Called 'The Upside' it's about an ex con who becomes a carer for a disabled guy. Brian Cranston & Kevin Hart. It's a long time since i laughed at a movie, but this was a really positive experience & i feel uplifted by it

It's on Amazon Prime in uk
                Last edited by Tulip; 18-07-2019, 18:24.

Comment

Cookie You are such a talented writer! I love reading your poems. I have a friend who makes jewelry. That seems like a lot of fun, but she has cut her thumbs many times doing it. So, I haven't followed suit in making jewelry, but I sure do like buying it. LOL! ...and YES...swimming for sure counts! What a great way to take care of yourself and enjoy life!

Emily You always sound like such an awesome cook! I know you love it because you get so creative. You have a Kitchen Aid beater thing, after all! Ahh, who doesn't love a good mystery book?! I hear you on watching movies in comfort. That's why I love the fact that most of our theaters now have recliners. You reserve your chair online and get to prop up your feet. It's pretty cool.

Brina Love that you have your house, solitude, and safe space back. I love the ukulele and guitar. (Actually, I love most string instruments. There's something very, very soothing about the sound of strings that somehow soothes my soul.) Are you still doing any photography? I love your sense of humor that emerges when you post stuff. I wish I had talent for singing (other than in the shower and car!) and in writing music. But, I don't...so I rely on enjoying what others produce.

Nane Knitting socks and gloves!! LOL. Love it! I want to knit and crochet again. I started a New England Rose blanket throw thing and never got very far with it. But whenever I look at the picture of what it's supposed to be when completed, I get happy and motivated. What kind of stuff do you doodle? (Whenever I doodle on note pads during teacher trainings, I always end up sketching the back of someone who's sitting in front of me. LOL. And then I usually start writing poems in French. These poems are extremely limited...HA..b/c "j'ai oublié la plupart de mes mots!" (I have forgotten most of my vocab.) Yay you for exercises!

Overcome Ok, H-O-W have you lived in this country without knowing of the Avengers. RUN, don't walk, to the movie theater! You have a decade of movies to watch before you can see End Game. LOL J/K...it's really ok. There's so much pop-culture stuff that I'm clueless about. And I'm happy that way, too. What apps and board games do you play? Right now, I'm loving the board game "Bezzerwizzer." It's a trivia game. Also love Scrabble. And for apps, my go-tos are Yahtzee, PathPix Art, & Elevate.

You know, there's a lot of wonderful things to enjoy in this life. And the great thing is that they also serve as coping strategies.
                  Last edited by Starship; 18-07-2019, 18:38. Reason: fixed emoji
                  ♥ ♥ ♥

Comment

Thought I would share one of the sketches I found that I had done a few years ago. I need to finish it, but here it is. Click image for larger version

Name:	sketch.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	1458970

Also, here's PROOF that I really did cook curry chicken. LOL Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1437.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	1458969

***Photos Posted With Permission***
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Starship; 18-07-2019, 18:43.
                    ♥ ♥ ♥

Comment

i love, love, love your sketch!

Comment

Wow star you are a great artist!! I love your picture.... also yum!!! Looks great!
                        I love mexican train, ticket to ride, parcheesi, monopoly, risk, and i like "cooperative games" where you try to beat the board instead of trying to beat the other players.
                        Apps... minesweeper and diner dash (mindless lol)

and yeah im clueless, i know no actors names, no pop culture music artists, and no superheroes.... and.... super ready to yell at me? Never seen star wars either. Nor have i ever watched a football game.
                        Last edited by Overcome; 18-07-2019, 23:12.
                        "We cannot hold a torch to another's path without brightening our own."

Comment

Your dinner looks so yummy!!.

ive never been able to draw people like that, even when I try they end up looking like a Picasso.... hahaha

do you find it hard to look at a person when you do it?
                          Email me!

Rule Your Own World!

Comment

Roflol Star....I do have a Kitchen Aid mixer! lol. It took a long time to get it, but it was so worth the wait. lol I haven't used it loads lately. But it makes a lot of things easier.
                            Email me!
                            My Profile
                            | Rules | Access | Staff

Comment

((((Tulip)))) I'm so sorry I missed your post earlier! I've never heard of The Upside. Sounds like it was great. I will check it out. I love it when movies are actually clean and uplifting.

Thanks, cookie! I feel the same way about your poems.

OVERCOME!!! You've never seen Star Wars??? Is that even possible?? (I feel like I should somehow offer you comfort. ) LOL
                              I love the game Risk, but I haven't played it in a long time. Monopoly is fun too, but it depends on who I'm playing with. LOL. My sister likes to bargain and trade properties, and I never come out on the winning side. (I think I'm a poor negotiator! My sister's like, "I'll let you have Park Place if you give me Kentucky Ave., Tennessee Ave. & all the railroads. And I'm like...d'oh...OKAY! Just b/c I want to have the most expensive set that costs everything I have to build hotels on and then no one ever lands on it.) I never win.
                              Oh, and I used to play Diner Dash all the time. Then I got rid of the computer and went to the lap top. Now the "clicking fun" isn't there since I no longer use a mouse.

Brina, nothing wrong with Picasso portraits! LOL! Who doesn't look more interesting when they have a nose in their forehead and three eyes in their neck? The trick to drawing people is to try and move away from the "concept" of what you are drawing and really just study what you actually see. The best place to do this is with hands. They just don't look like we "think" they look. We think ..."okay, we've got 4 fingers and a thumb...I must make sure to account for the thumb!" ...when if we actually just look at the outline of the hand we are drawing, it does not resemble a conceptual hand at all. (Not sure if that made any sense.)

As far as looking at people when drawing them, I think it's more difficult for the person being drawn than it is for me. I'm preoccupied with studying their visual lines...but they are the ones that have to sit still. Actually, my favorite thing is to draw people when they are asleep...because they don't move! Drawing from photographs also works for me for the same reason. The absolute worst, though, was in art school when I had to draw the naked models. That was uncomfortable...(especially if you didn't grab the most flattering angle. HA!) Never could I ever be one of those models!
                              ♥ ♥ ♥

Comment

Join us on twitter to chat, meet new friends, & share resources 

@SurvivorOasis
                              Working...
                              X