No announcement yet.

Victory at work =)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential SA Triggers : Victory at work =)

I wanted to share a little victory story that happened at work this week, but it's medical and some people might not like that. Thus, the warning.

I'm a nurse on an intermediate care floor (one step under ICU). Well, I've been struggling with certain skills for a while and that's been knocking my confidence down. Well this week I was able to start a catheter with no issues! That's huge for me. I've had to ask for help and it's embarrassing at this point in my career. So something finally clicked and it was easy! And then, another nurse asked me to start an IV in a patient that two nurses couldn't get. And I went in and got it first try! (Another skill I've been trying to improve on) It just made me feel so good! Like I was competent and maybe I am pretty good! I left that day beaming. Feeling pretty good about myself.
    "My health may fail and my spirit may grow weak, but the LORD remains the strength of my heart. He is mine forever."

Ashley, both of those are terrific things! I'm so glad something clicked with placing the catheter, and I hope it will continue to be easier! And I'm sure it meant a lot not only to you, to get the IV in the first time, but it also was a real blessing to the patient. Way to go!
    Catie

Comment

Oh this is excellent, Ashley! Sounds like you are very competent. I'm glad you are gaining confidence in that. I'm a hard stick when getting blood drawn (one nurse had to stick me 6 times)...and I've had plenty of nurses that have had to hand me off to someone else to try get my blood or IV going. I think, in almost every case, the nurses that hand me off feel bad...even though they try their best to conceal the emotion. I think having had those experiences of struggling with the skills and then mastering them makes you an even better nurse than if you had never had to struggle with it. I would imagine it would make you even more compassionate.
      Good on you!
      ♥ ♥ ♥
      The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save.
      Zeph 3:16

Comment

Excellent!

Comment

Wow what a double blessing as i am sure the patient was appreciative too! Way to go!
          "We cannot hold a torch to another's path without brightening our own."

Comment

yay for you!

Comment

Awesome, so happy of your successes

Comment

Yes! It makes me so happy. And yes, I used to be on the verge of tears when I'd poke a patient more than twice and couldn't get it. (I don't really do more than twice, personally) Now I give myself a little grace with unique circumstances. But now it looks like I'm sharing expertise with others! Pretty fun!

Ugh, but I really do feel so bad when there's a skill I can't complete adequately. These patients are trusting me, and I so want to diminish their discomfort. But then I've added to it. I've just had to learn to let it slide off and learn what I can do better. Less and less mistakes these days
                "My health may fail and my spirit may grow weak, but the LORD remains the strength of my heart. He is mine forever."

Comment

Really, that's all you can look for and expect of yourself is to progress over time. And you are!

Woo hoo to you!
                  Catie

Comment

Join us on twitter to chat, meet new friends, & share resources 

@SurvivorOasis
                  Working...
                  X