Funny Story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny Story

So, this is a funny story about how things have been going with my herb garden this week.

Most years, I plant herbs. I love cooking with fresh herbs. And so I love growing them, and when I'm ready to cook, just snipping off what I need and using it. And then in Autumn, In cut them and freeze til I can grow more in Spring.

This year, I got new grow boxes. I had loads of room, so when I went to get herbs, I also got some flowers to grow in with the herbs. I thought it would make a nice colorful garden that would also meet my cooking needs. I can't really grow veggies, because there are mice that like tunneling in the yard, and between them, the squirrels, the rabbits, and the birds, we probably wouldn't be left with anything to actually eat ourselves. So I have been content to grow herbs.

So on to my story now that you have background.

This week, I saw a rabbit eating one of the pansies that I planted in my grow box. Upon doing some research, I learned that apparently, pansies are like caviar to rabbits. Who knew?! So I decided to take the pansies out of the box, and put them in a hanging basket. I'm hoping that they'll thrive in the basket, and it'll keep the rabbits from being interested in my grow box. They've never bothered the herbs before.

I had thought that something was digging in the box. it's got a fabric cover, but in one of the x's cut to plant flowers, it looked like something was digging. When I saw the rabbit pulling the pansies, I thought..well, maybe it wasn't something digging. Maybe it was just the rabbits pulling at the plants. This particular box I have noticed that even though was planted same as other two, was a bit heavier than those. I could never figure out why, and thoguht maybe it was just holding more water in bottom....

So, when I was digging the plants I was going to move up, to put them into the basket, that's when it happened. I found a nut. Then I found another.

Apparently, a squirrel (I'm guessing here) decided that my grow box was a great place for it's stash.I stopped digging, because I didn't want to disturb my other plants. But that grow box is still rather heavy. I hope that all that's in there now is just some well planning rodent's winter stash.....and not said rodent itself!

Guess I'll find out when I remove all the plants to store the boxes for winter....lol
    Email me!
    My Profile
    | Rules | Access | Staff
    Scars remind us of where we've been.
    They don't have to dictate where we're going.~Criminal Minds

i'm glad you didn't find the squirrel in there.

Comment

lol me too! I dont think he was in there when I was digging around, or I'd have found out the hard way (That song, Mississippi Squirrel Revival comes too mind..roflol) But it's so much heavier, I do wonder how much he stashed in there..lol
      Email me!
      My Profile
      | Rules | Access | Staff

Comment

Lol have you seen the video of a squirrel trying to hide a nut in a dog's fur?
        dont leave me all alone frodo...dont go where i cant follow
        my little gentleman

Comment

lol no, but it's amazing a dog would be still for that! lol
          Email me!
          My Profile
          | Rules | Access | Staff

Comment

Lol oh my goodness!! id be afraid to touch the box and have said rodent jump out at me. Lol!!
            "We cannot hold a torch to another's path without brightening our own."

Comment

Lol. That's actually really cute!! I love watching squirrels run around...especially when they are holding nuts. Sounds like you've got quite an array of critters vying for your garden!
              ♥ ♥ ♥
              The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save.
              Zeph 3:16

Comment

Wow. Might be a whole lot of nuts! That's funny too about rabbits and pansies!
                Catie

Comment

roflol yeah Overcome. Now every time I water, if some angry squirrel is gonna poke it's head out and be like, "seriously dude?!" roflol

lol We do have plenty of wildlife Star, especially for being in the city. lol. Squirrels, rabbits, mice, raccoons...and of course birds. Brina will probably not agree on watching the squirrels. Though she watched them closely...it wasn't so much for pleasure! lol.

lol I know Catie! I half expect to find pounds of nuts in there when it comes time to empty for winter! lol. Guess we'll see. Lol yeah, I had no idea about the pansies and rabbits, or I might have chosen a different flower. My other flowers in there are doing ok. But who knew...pansies like caviar..lol. A lot of people said that if you spread human hair clippings around them and the rabbits will leave them alone, because of the human scent.

But the idea of asking my stylist to bag hair clippings for me made me laugh hysterically.. Can you picture it? Suddenly, in his mind, I could seem like some crazy eccentric , with cobwebs all over and putting hair clippings into a cauldron...roflmao.
                  Email me!
                  My Profile
                  | Rules | Access | Staff

Comment

Yeah, and somehow, "It's for the rabbits" doesn't make the request for hair sound saner.
                    Catie

Comment

roflmao! Exactly! lol.
                      Email me!
                      My Profile
                      | Rules | Access | Staff

Comment

Join us on twitter to chat, meet new friends, & share resources 

@SurvivorOasis
                      Working...
                      X