Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Encouragement You've Received

Not sure if this is the right forum for this or not, but here goes anyway:

Post what you think is the best encouragement you've received while on your recovery journey. It can be multiple things, or just one. You can post multiple times as the encouragement comes into your life/if you remember some encouraging words later. Also, you can put why the words were encouraging to you, but you don't have to

For me, the thing that sticks out most in my mind are the words:
    1. "sitting with you as you tell your story," (so encouraging to me, someone who has never had anyone to talk to in respect to personal matters)
    2. "I believe you" (just gold to me because I've been trained to not believe myself)
    3. "you can go as slow as you want." (I come from a rat-race area and going slow is usually frowned upon, so having someone say that it's ok to go slow was a big relief to me)
    I have others stored up which I will get to sharing later, but for today these words really struck a cord with me and I wanted to share them

For me, "i can see how difficult talking about this is, living it must have been more." Just the validation of the experience. Also being believed. There are other things that just mean a lot to me individually. Its nice to remember those little things.
    "We cannot hold a torch to another's path without brightening our own."

Comment

"You survived. You have defied the odds."

I want to add thank you for starting this thread.
      Last edited by Falena Porter; 20-05-2017, 11:17. Reason: added a bit
      Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
      and today is a gift;
      that's why they call it the present.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

"You're not crazy. You exhibited a completely NORMAL reaction to abnormal circumstances."

also..

"You're not a psychopath. If you were, you wouldn't be concerned about being one." (This was very helpful b/c my father is a psychopath and I was very afraid that I had "inherited" those genes.)

and...

"You did exactly what you were supposed to do...survive."

Btw, this is a great thread. Thanks for starting it, WaitWhat.
        ♥ ♥ ♥
        The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save.
        Zeph 3:16

Comment

Feeling heard, by various counsellors etc and strangely them validating how much I have gone through. That means I was not making it up/exaggerating/over-reacting as often told.

Many people have told me I am strong.

ES
          In my distress I called to the Lord;
          I cried to my God for help.
          It is God who arms me with strength
          and keeps my way secure.

Comment

These posts are really great. I find reading the encouragement that others have received is very encouraging within itself, so thank you all for posting!

Comment

"you are not crazy." and "things are going to get better." ..and "you don't have to "talk", we can move these things to the part of your brain where memories are stored, and the emotions will settle." .....and a granddaughter's sweet, "i love you, i know you love me, no matter what" (to be there for them).

Comment

Oh I just love this. Wonderful thread. =)

Hm...For me, probably what others have said: "you did exactly what you had to do to survive". When I feel like I'm crazy when I react certain ways, my T points back to how it helped me cope in the past. "You had every reason to react that way (back then)" The work now is that I don't need those survival techniques anymore...no longer in crisis situation.

And "there was nothing you could have done". That helps with the replay games of 'what should I have done to prevent it'. Helps take the blame off of me.

I think seeing/hearing other people's reactions of sadness/shock is cathartic, as well. In my mind, it wasn't as horrible as other's stories, but when I hear someone's sadness over it, it validates the pain I feel.
                "My health may fail and my spirit may grow weak, but the LORD remains the strength of my heart. He is mine forever."

Comment

Validation felt incredible to me, especially early in my recovery. I didn't start therapy till age 49. My first T, a few weeks after starting with him, walked me to the door one afternoon. "I don't know what _____ did to you. But whatever it was, it was big." Those few words allowed the most incredible feeling of safety to wash over me. It was a brand new feeling I had never experienced, ever. Huge, huge sense of relief, comfort, safety, like nothing in my entire life.
                  Catie

Comment

I've never gone to therapy before and probably wont be able to for several more years, but the stories I hear about T sessions sound really encouraging

I have a few more sayings I'd like to share:

"I feel sad and angry on your behalf" (comforting to know someone is reacting normally when you can't)

"It's ok that you can't talk about it out loud right now. I'll wait."

"When you can't speak it, write it down or use some other way to communicate it. "

Comment

One of the favourite things that I ever heard was in a time of ministry when I felt like I just couldn't do any more work. When my T asked me what she thought Jesus' response to my decision was, I felt like He said He would wait. In my attitude, I just responded: Really? For how long?? And I felt like He answered me: 'Longer'. So, WaitWhat (and whoever else needs to hear this), it's really ok for you to wait as long as you need, He will wait longer.

Comment

aww!!! That's a great encouragement! Thanks for sharing

Comment

"You deserved a better childhood friend than you thought you deserved." 'You are not crazy'. "I believe every word you say." " Your mom is ill, it's not you." "That is abuse." "I'm sitting with you, listening."
                          'We all want Canaan without going through the wilderness.'
                          Ravi Zacharias

Comment

Reading through all of your words is so encouraging! Having people believe me is huge. That and when my T validated that what happened was horrible, I wasn't over reacting.

Comment

Thanks everyone for contributing!

Comment

Join us on twitter to chat, meet new friends, & share resources 

@SurvivorOasis
                              Working...
                              X